WACKY racers are spending their week building scrap box racers ahead of tomorrow’s big race.
The Trax Scrapheap Challenge at Red Barn Farm in Woodstock Road, Oxford, sees groups of young people build go-kart type racers from scrap material and compete to see who can build the best and fastest machine.
Thirteen-year-old Harry Dudley said: “I do a lot of this sort of thing. I like building things like that and it has been really good fun, I like it a lot.
“I’ve done this twice before in the school holidays but there are also some people here who haven’t done it before, so it’s good to get them involved too.
“Hopefully we can win the final race. I am really looking forward to racing it.
“There are lots of different levels you get graded on, such as how you build it.
“That makes it even more fun because it’s not just the racing that’s the fun part but the planning as well.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street