Concern for historic bridge as weight limit unenforced

Councillor Steve Good at Newbridge

Councillor Steve Good at Newbridge

First published in News
Last updated
Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter covering Blackbird Leys and Greater Leys. Call me on 01865 425403

TRAFFIC cameras to catch lorries flouting weight restrictions on a 14th century bridge have been broken for months.

The loss of the cameras has sparked fears that Grade II-listed Newbridge between Witney and Kingston Bagpuize could be damaged by heavy trucks going over it.

The bridge, which carries the A415 between Witney and Abingdon, has an 18-tonne gross vehicle weight limit, so any vehicle capable of carrying more than 18 tonnes is not allowed to cross.

The cameras record vehicles’ licence plates and then, if that truck is registered as over 18 tonnes, Oxfordshire County Council sends the owner a penalty ticket.

Eynsham Oxfordshire county councillor Charles Mathew said: “It’s true that the cameras are not working at the moment and there have been problems for some time with the operator and the surveying of that camera.

“There is heavy traffic still going across and there are probably 10 or 12 lorries a day over the weight limit.

“This is not a satisfactory situation, and Oxfordshire County Council would be the first to admit that.

“We are, with some urgency now, having been prodded quite strongly, looking for other solutions to the problem.

Related links

“In the meantime, Trading Standards – who have the authority to enforce it – have been visiting very frequently and making representation to the guilty parties.”

Steve Good, a Standlake, Aston and Stanton Harcourt councillor on West Oxfordshire District, has raised concerns.

Speaking at the Aston Parish Council meeting last month, he said there was a “real risk” that the bridge could be lost as a river crossing.

Others bridges are Tadpole Bridge on the Buckland to Bampton Road, and the toll bridge at Eynsham, creating a “significant increase” in Aston traffic, he said.

He told the Oxford Mail: “We are looking at the matter again to protect this very important monument.

“What we want to happen is for Oxfordshire County Council to enforce the existing weight limit.

“The cameras have been out of action since last November.

“It can’t be doing the structure any good.

“If you ask anybody they’ll agree something needs to be done.

“I’m working with colleagues at Oxfordshire County Council to find the best way forward.”

County council spokesman Owen Morton said: “The council has experienced problems with the camera system and is investigating alternative solutions.

“In the meantime, Trading Standards officers are proactively monitoring the bridge and enforcing the weight limit, as well as continuing to act on information provided by members of the public.”

Work to strengthen the bridge is limited because it is a scheduled ancient monument and Grade II listed building.

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here

11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.

Our top stories

UPDATED: Man charged with 19 crimes against 10 people appears in court after slavery raids

Oxford Mail:

8:14am Saturday 28th March 2015

A 44-YEAR-OLD man has appeared in court this morning charged with 19 offences against 10 people following Thursday's anti-slavery raids.

Surgeries get £6.4m to extend buildings

Oxford Mail: NHS

9:30am Saturday 28th March 2015

THREE Oxfordshire GP surgeries have been awarded a total of £6.4m to expand.

Child rapist jailed for 18 years after string of brutal attacks

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Saturday 28th March 2015

A 62-YEAR-OLD man has been jailed for 18 years for a brutal campaign of rape that started when his victim was 10 or 11.

Oxford United leave it late on whether O'Dowda starts against Carlisle

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Saturday 28th March 2015

Michael Appleton will make a late call on his line-up, with a decision to be made on whether Callum O’Dowda is fit to start the crunch home clash with Carlisle United this afternoon.

Body in river is paedophile headteacher + video

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Saturday 28th March 2015

A PAEDOPHILE due to be sentenced for molesting young boys was the man found dead in the River Thames on Tuesday.

Bollywood’s ‘Tom Cruise’ proves a big hit at Blenheim

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Saturday 28th March 2015

MOVIE legend Tom Cruise filmed his latest Mission Impossible blockbuster at Blenheim Palace in December.

 

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree