A CHARITY shop in Wallingford reopened on Monday after being refurbished for the first time since opening 25 years ago.
Cancer Research UK, in Market Place, was closed for a week while work, including new lighting and display units, was done. A new layout has created more space for stock and better changing rooms.
There are also community boards displaying cancer awareness leaflets and walls have been repainted.
Store manager Hermione Howson said: “A lot of people have come in and said how much nicer it looks.
“It allows us to be able to compete with other charity shops, because obviously there’re so many charities these days fighting for good causes but you still want to get as many people into the shop as possible.
“The shop has been here for 25 years – it was once repaired after a fire but never refurbished, so it’s long overdue.”
The charity is investing in all of its stores over the next couple of years.
Area shop manager Philippa Elsmore said: “Our shops are the high street face of the charity and investing in them is vital. Money raised in Wallingford and our other stores forms a very significant part of Cancer Research UK’s income and therefore helps us fund research which saves more lives.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her
- Families urged to consider signing up for organ donation
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay