PROPOSALS for a development on a former paper mill site in Wolvercote could be revived after new talks were revealed to be under way.
Owner, Oxford University said in May it could look to sell the 17-acre site, off Mill Road, without planning permission after plans for 190 homes there received a series of objections.
But this week a spokesman told the Oxford Mail it is seeking to submit renewed plans before the end of the year.
University spokesman Matt Pickles said: “We have been meeting with city councillors and representatives of the Wolvercote Neighbourhood Forum and Wolvercote Commoners and agreed to look at certain issues around the application.
“It is hoped the amendments to the application will be brought forward before the end of the year to go through the usual planning process including public consultation.”
The university has been seeking planning permission for the scheme so it can sell the site for a greater amount of money, but has hit a series of setbacks.
Residents also feared that the extra homes would burden nearby roads with congestion.
But Wolvercote Neighbourhood Forum chairman John Bleach said the group was now waiting to hear back from the university regarding the latest round of discussions.
He said: “I can confirm we are back in discussions with the university.
“We have come a long way working with them and we would like to finish this stage, rather than it being prematurely ended by the university selling the site without planning permission.”
Mr Pickles said in May that the university, which originally wanted planning permission, would instead consider selling the land without it. He said: “The university is considering whether or not it wishes to proceed with the application as submitted, whether it should amend it, or whether it should consider disposing of the site without resolving planning.”
The paper mill, off Mill Road, was demolished in 2004 after being closed by Oxford University Press (OUP) in 1998.
Production of paper there dated back to at least 1674 and OUP bought the site in 1970.
The university first put forward plans for a £40m scheme – including 200 homes – which was scrapped in 2011.
The last plans for the site, estimated to be worth £30m, were submitted to the city council in July last year.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
11:20am Monday 28th July 2014
What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.
Our top stories
7:43am Saturday 31st January 2015
IT'S been snowing overnight in Oxfordshire and here's some of the pictures our readers have sent in.
9:00am Saturday 31st January 2015
THE POPPY Appeal’s fundraising target has been smashed in the county.
3:17pm Saturday 31st January 2015
THREE men have been arrested after a man was left with "serious injuries," police say.
1:20pm Saturday 31st January 2015
A British military healthcare worker has been brought back to England for Ebola monitoring after suffering a needle-stick injury while treating a person in Sierra Leone.
9:30am Saturday 31st January 2015
Danny Hylton has warned Oxford United will get “eaten alive” at Stevenage today unless they match their hosts’ appetite for a battle.
8:30am Saturday 31st January 2015
BUILDERS and Oxford University dons have celebrated “topping out” one of Oxford’s newest and most prominent buildings.