A SPECIAL ceremony was held at RAF Brize Norton to mark the formal handover of responsibility for the base’s new Voyager transport and refuelling aircraft to No 1 Air Mobility Wing.
Until now the Voyager programme was managed by the RAF’s HQ Air Command but with completion in the spring of a core fleet of nine Voyagers, taking over from elderly TriStars, the focus has switched to service operations, rather than development and delivery of the planes.
Eight of the fleet are dedicated full-time to military use, and the RAF will have first call on the other six Voyagers but they will be available for charter to other operators if not needed for military duties.
The planes will provide strategic transport, air-to-air refuelling and airborne medical evacuation capabilities for the next 25 years and can refuel Typhoon and Tornado strike jets and Hercules turboprop transport planes in mid-air.
The ceremony was held at the end of last month at the RAF station’s AirTanker hangar, the base of the consortium that supplies and maintains the planes under a private finance initiative agreement.
Air Commodore David Lee, the RAF’s Air Officer Air Mobility, said: “Voyager represents a quantum leap in capability and reliability and will be essential to UK defence outputs.
“This capability is delivered through the fusion of military and commercial best practice and illustrates what can be achieved through the close partnering of regulars, civilians and reserves.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
11:20am Monday 28th July 2014
What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.
Our top stories
8:59am Friday 27th March 2015
POLICE feared there could be more victims after 10 people were last night in custody after a series of anti-slavery raids.
10:37am Friday 27th March 2015
A WOMAN has been charged with slavery offences after 10 people were arrested yesterday in a series of dawn raids.
9:10am Friday 27th March 2015
A BICESTER teenager reported missing has been found safe and well, police said this morning.
8:30am Friday 27th March 2015
IF YOU were a fan of Spitting Image you will love a brand new exhibition at the Ashmolean Museum which pokes fun at the great and good.
8:30am Friday 27th March 2015
FANS of Oxford’s most famous princess were out in force yesterday to mark her 40th birthday.
8:00am Friday 27th March 2015
A WATCHDOG committee of the county council has refused to back calls for an independent inquiry in the wake of Operation Bullfinch.