ROWERS came together for the Oxford City Royal Regatta at the weekend in one of the rowing season’s final events.
The annual competition, organised by the City of Oxford Rowing Club, saw hundreds of rowers working in teams of four over a 1,000m course on Saturday and a 500m sprint on Sunday.
One of the teams taking part was the Oxford Academicals crew, an adult team open to anyone from the county.
Rower Fred Hersch said: “We learnt to row earlier this year with one of the crew’s novice courses, and then stayed on to train for the regatta.
“It was exciting – it was our first regatta and it was really good fun.”
While they did not win any of their races, Mr Hersch said they had a positive experience, adding: “We performed well, so we were happy.
“We worked well as a team, which is what we came here to do. It was a successful outing for us.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Our top stories
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- Management consultants Newton Europe named Business of the Year at 2016 Oxfordshire Business Awards
- Eating Weetabix and brown rice could help prevent an early death say experts
- VIDEO: Kerry Reeves' mother bravely faces her 'beautiful' daughter's killers in emotional tribute
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech