Cavalcade of Cowley classics delights fans young and old

Visitors admire some of the 250 classic cars on show. Pictures OX69309

Visitors admire some of the 250 classic cars on show. Pictures OX69309 Buy this photo

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter covering Bicester and Banbury. Call me on (01865) 425426

HUNDREDS enjoyed a display of more than 250 vintage vehicles at yesterday’s seventh annual Cowley Classic Car Show.

A 40-strong convoy drove from Cowley’s Mini plant to the Oxsrad Sports and Leisure Centre, Marsh Lane, Marston, to join a display of 272 cars.

Convoy organiser Tanya Field said: “Oxford’s car heritage is tremendous, a real success and I thought we should do something to celebrate that.

“Just the fact that we are still making them here is amazing.”

The event’s oldest car was a 1924 bullnose Morris and the newest a 2006 Aston Martin Vantage.

Oxford Mail:

The proud owner of an MGB Roadster talks to visitors about his immaculate car.

Harwell’s Robin McStay, 76, brought his 1967 blue Morris Minor 1000 two-door saloon.

He said: “I have owned this car since it came off the production line in 1967.

“My brother worked at the Cowley factory and I got it through the family discount system. It has been all over Britain and has done more than 250,000 miles.

“It has never occurred to me to sell it, I am not really someone who throws things away. It is part of me. But it is in retirement now and lives in the garage.”

Oxford Mail:

Robin McStay with his 1967 Morris Minor.

Marston’s Levan Bekmarmarchev, 49, who brought his 1968 Morris Minor Traveller, said: “I was given this car in 2000 and it had mushrooms growing out of the woodwork and holes in the floor. It took me five years to repair it.

“When we moved house I built a garage around it and restored it inside. When I drive it I see all the heads turn as I pass.”

The event raised money for Oxfordshire charity Rosy, which provides nurses to care for terminally ill children at home. Last year’s show resulted in a £4,000 donation to the charity.

Oxford Mail:

Levan Bekmarmarchev with the 1968 Morris Minor.

The show was organised by Oxford Isis Rotary Club and club member Malcolm Fearn said: “It is fascinating to hear the stories behind the cars.”

Top News

Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Send your Letter to the Editor

11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.

Our top stories

UPDATED: Fifty homes affected as burst water main causes significant flooding in Normandy Crescent in Oxford

Oxford Mail:

7:37am Tuesday 23rd September 2014

A WATER main has burst in an Oxford street causing significant flooding this morning.

Man charged over rape at Headington flat and sexual assault in South Park

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

11:10am Tuesday 23rd September 2014

A MAN has been charged after a woman was raped in a flat in Headington on Saturday and another woman attacked in South Park on Sunday.

UPDATE: A34 reopens after car fire but congestion still severe

Oxford Mail: A34 traffic alert

8:40am Tuesday 23rd September 2014

A ROAD shut after a car was engulfed in flames has now fully reopened.

Police step up patrols after third sex attack

Oxford Mail: Oxford area police commander Supt Christian Bunt

9:00am Tuesday 23rd September 2014

A THIRD woman in two days has been the victim of a sex attack in the city.

Funding for an extra 9,400 hours of home care at risk

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Tuesday 23rd September 2014

ELDERLY people getting home care could miss out on an extra 9,400 hours of support a week if the county does not meet Government targets.

Search goes on for wartime bombs

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Tuesday 23rd September 2014

POLICE continued their search yesterday at the house in Bicester where a haul of wartime explosives and munitions were discovered.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree