Scrap man says dodgy metal police 'sting' harmed family

Scrap metal merchant Joey Smith, of Smiths of Bloxham, who has had his conviction overturned on appeal. Picture: OX69282 Simon Williams

Scrap metal merchant Joey Smith, of Smiths of Bloxham, who has had his conviction overturned on appeal. Picture: OX69282 Simon Williams Buy this photo

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Crime Reporter, also covering Barton and Wood Farm. Call me on (01865) 425427

A SCRAP metal merchant who cleared his name last week has spoken of the strain the case has had on him and his family over the last two years.

Joey Smith, of the Smiths of Bloxham yard, last week had his conviction of handling dodgy metal overturned at the Court of Appeal.

He was prosecuted following an undercover police operation which saw his yard raided and him and his colleagues arrested in 2012.

Three other workers had charges dropped against them and another was cleared after a trial last year.

The 25-year-old, from Milton Road in Adderbury, said the case had caused stress to his family including his terminally ill parents.

He said his 70-year-old father Peter – who had charges against him dropped before the case went to court – is suffering from Parkinson’s disease and prostate cancer.

His 64-year-old mother Kathleen’s breast cancer returned and spread to a lung during the ordeal.

He said: “She got over it once and then all this started and it came back.

They just gave her the all- clear before we got raided.

“The case caused stress on my ill mother and father for such a long time, and a huge cost in money and health.”

Between December 2011 and May 2012, undercover officers visited the yard 33 times offering metal for sale, which they claimed Mr Smith bought believing it to have been stolen.

Following the operation, Mr Smith was convicted of attempting to convert criminal property and given a £1,750 fine, and a £2,500 costs order, after a trial at Oxford Crown Court in Decemer last year.

However, last week this was overturned by the Court of Appeal.

Mr Smith said the family would not be pushing for compensation, adding: “We will try to forget it all and get it back on track. After the raid people did not want to come. They thought we were bad people.”

But he said: “We have had a lot of support from local people.”

His solictor Robert Borwick said: “My client is delighted with the outcome of the hearing at the Court of Appeal.

“The prosecution brought huge strain to him and his family over the years and he is pleased they have now come to an end and that these matters, that he denied from the outset, have been concluded.”

Mr Smith’s older brother Tommy Smith was cleared by a jury of attempting to convert criminal property in the trial, but pleaded guilty to possessing prohibited weapons and having a shotgun without a licence.

Crown Prosecution Service spokeswoman Jo Harwood said after the appeal hearing: “We continue, along with national colleagues, to carefully consider the judgment of the Court of Appeal and we are ensuring that we take this into account in current and future cases.”

Top News

Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Send your Letter to the Editor

11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.

Our top stories

Mum says Oxford Health let down son who escaped mental hospital

Oxford Mail: Ian McLean

9:00am Friday 30th January 2015

THE family of man who escaped a mental hospital, fled abroad then hanged himself in a prison cell have said he was let down by Oxford Health.

UPDATE: Snow and sleet forecast for Saturday in Oxfordshire

Oxford Mail: Ice warning for Sussex after more snow falls

12:06pm Thursday 29th January 2015

SNOW has been forecast for Oxfordshire over the weekend and a yellow weather warning is still in place for today.

Julia Knight appears in court charged with attempted murder of patient in Horton General Hospital

Oxford Mail:

4:14pm Friday 30th January 2015

A WOMAN charged with the attempted murder of a hospital patient today appeared in Oxford Crown Court.

Update: Man in court accused of £4.8m fraud at Mini plant

Oxford Mail: The production line for the mini at the BMW plant in Cowley as it looks now

3:50pm Friday 30th January 2015

A MAN has been accused of fraudulently pocketing £4.8m from the assembly and services division at the Mini plant in Cowley.

Oxfordshire County Council chief executive Joanna Simons to stand down in June - and will not be replaced

Oxford Mail: Joanna Simons

1:10pm Friday 30th January 2015

OXFORDSHIRE'S biggest local authority will scrap its top unelected position as part of a radical shake-up to save costs, it was revealed today.

Andrew Main appears in court charged with South Oxfordshire arsons

Oxford Mail:

1:13pm Friday 30th January 2015

A MAN has today appeared in court accused of three arson attacks in South Oxfordshire, including those that destroyed district council offices and a funeral parlour.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:15pm Mon 18 Aug 14

Lord Palmerstone says...

Good for the "stats". Police choose who they wish to criminalise. Saves having to chase metal thieves. Great result TVP.
Good for the "stats". Police choose who they wish to criminalise. Saves having to chase metal thieves. Great result TVP. Lord Palmerstone
  • Score: -2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree