PLANS to demolish a building in Queen Street Oxford and replace it with a five-storey complex of shops and student flats have been lodged by a London property firm.
Some 133 student rooms are included in proposals for the L-shaped development, put forward by Savilles, on behalf of Reef Estates.
The buildings set to be flattened are currently occupied by Swarovski and EAT and the buildings behind Black’s, in St Aldate’s, would be renovated.
In its submission to Oxford City Council for building permission, the developer said that there would be a “need to implement measures to mitigate the impact of construction traffic”. A plan to manage the effects of the building work would be drawn up, the firm added.
Oxford Civic Society chairman Peter Thompson said the group would examine the proposals “very closely”, adding: “This is a very central and prominent location in Oxford, with many nearby buildings being historic ones.”
The plans are open to comments from the public until September 5.
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her
- Families urged to consider signing up for organ donation
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay