WORKING at an Oxford University college you expect to see plenty of scholars and some tourists, but John Jones has met actors, sports superstars and comedians.
Since he started working as a visitor liaison officer at New College three years ago, Mr Jones has become a “celebrity magnet”.
- With Kevin Whateley
The Abingdon resident said: “It all started with the Lewis cast – I’ve got pictures with Laurence Fox, Kevin Whately and Angela Griffin – and it just snowballed from there.”
- With Kate Beckinsale
The 69-year-old’s collection took a distinct A-list turn with the appearance of Monty Python star Terry Jones and Hollywood actress Kate Beckinsale.
Mr Jones said of his celebrity namesake: “He was a gentleman. He shook my hand and offered to have his photograph taken. I couldn’t believe it.
“Then Kate Beckinsale came because she did English at the college when she was a student.
“She was lovely. She posed for several photos. She’s a corker.”
- With Sebastian Vettel
It’s not just actors who visit the college. Four-time Formula One World Champion Sebastian Vettel stopped by during a tour of Oxford.
Mr Jones said of meeting the Grand Prix driver: “I just couldn’t believe it. I nearly had a heart attack.”
There are still some stars Mr Jones is keen to see as they soak up the sights. He said: “I’m going to get Hugh Grant next, that’s the next goal, because he’s an alumni. And Rick Stein.”
The college’s tourism manager Paula Hart said of Mr Jones: “The visitors and staff love him. His friendly face and happy attitude brighten their day. Not to mention he’s a celebrity magnet.”
OTHER New College star alumni:
- Ian Katz, journalist
- Kate Mosse, novelist
- Hugh Grant, actor
- The late Tony Benn, Labour Party politician
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
- Our top stories
- New faces around the county council cabinet table
- Oxfordshire detective is a contestant on Channel 4 survival show The Island with Bear Grylls
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes