A COUPLE said they could have been killed when their two cars were torched.
David and Denise Bartlett were awoken after 1am on Wednesday when their two Renaults were set alight in Fitzharry’s Road.
A third car, a Nissan Micra, also caught fire.
The flames spread to wheelie bins but were put out before they set alight the garage that is attached to their home.
A 21-year-old man appeared in court yesterday charged with the arson.
Mrs Bartlett, 66, said one of her neighbours saw the flames and called the fire service.
She said: “If we hadn’t had neighbours who were alert, the fire could have spread to the house easily.”
Her £22,000 Renault Megane and her husband’s £25,000 Renault Vel Satis have both been written off.
Mr Bartlett, 67, said: “We could have died.”
Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service sent two fire engines and two firefighters put out the blaze.
Crew manager Adam Cook said: “This was a very serious incident but could have been life threatening had the fire spread into the properties.”
Lee Tyler yesterday appeared at Oxford Magistrates’ Court charged with arson with intent, seven counts of criminal damage, and one of theft from a motor vehicle. Tyler, of Richmere Road, Didcot, was remanded in custody to appear at Oxford Crown Court next Friday.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- Management consultants Newton Europe named Business of the Year at 2016 Oxfordshire Business Awards
- Eating Weetabix and brown rice could help prevent an early death say experts
- VIDEO: Kerry Reeves' mother bravely faces her 'beautiful' daughter's killers in emotional tribute
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech