Hospital says it is working to scan women within fortnight

Dr Tony Berendt

Dr Tony Berendt

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Council Reporter, also covering Oxford city centre. Call me on 01865 425429

DOCTORS hope to scan all 30 women being recalled over fears about breast cancer tests within the next fortnight.

Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust (OUHT) said it was working as quickly as possible to give the women – contacted because there are fears tests telling them they were not in danger of the disease may have been wrong – definitive answers.

As revealed in yesterday’s Oxford Mail, the trust launched a serious incident investigation after it discovered five women had developed breast cancer several months after they had screenings and additional assessments.

After these cases came to light 626 women, who had been screened and then had additional tests by the same doctor, between May 2011 and March 2014 were reviewed by National Breast Screening Service experts. And of those OUHT said it is concerned about 30 women.

They have now been invited to come in to hospital over the next two weeks.

If there’s a problem, they will be given the necessary treatment but the trust has said it hoped the majority would not need it.

Dr Tony Berendt, the trust’s interim medical director, said: “We are obviously extremely sorry that we have had to recall these women and we have done it in order to be absolutely confident that the assessments they had were as thorough as possible.

“It is possible that there is nothing found in any of them but we cannot say at this stage.

“We are making changes about the way assessments are read and discussed. What happens then will depend on the results of the full investigation.”

Andrew Smith, the MP for Oxford East, said he wished all the women the best.

He added: “It is good that the hospital’s review has picked this up and action is being taken, but the fact that this has been necessary, and especially the five instances of cancer which triggered the recall, raises serious questions about why the additional tests were not undertaken on the previous scan.

“Women need to able to rely on the screening service as putting into practice the best standards, and the public will want to be assured that this has now been done.”

All women aged between 50 and 70 are invited for breast screening every three years and in the last three years 73,029 women in Oxfordshire have had mammogram screenings.

A telephone helpline has been set up on 01865 227000 to respond to patients’ concerns and GPs have been informed.

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Send your Letter to the Editor

11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.

Our top stories

Snow across Oxfordshire - in readers' pictures + forecast

Oxford Mail:

7:43am Saturday 31st January 2015

IT'S been snowing overnight in Oxfordshire and here's some of the pictures our readers have sent in.

Record broken as more than £500,000 raised for Poppy Appeal

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Saturday 31st January 2015

THE POPPY Appeal’s fundraising target has been smashed in the county.

Man left with serious head injuries after being hit with wooden item during fight in Bicester

Oxford Mail: Foorball forges links between police and youngsters

3:17pm Saturday 31st January 2015

THREE men have been arrested after a man was left with "serious injuries," police say.

Healthcare worker brought back from Africa to UK for Ebola monitoring via Brize Norton

Oxford Mail: RAF logo

1:20pm Saturday 31st January 2015

A British military healthcare worker has been brought back to England for Ebola monitoring after suffering a needle-stick injury while treating a person in Sierra Leone.

Oxford United striker Danny Hylton says they are ready for Stevenage battle

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Saturday 31st January 2015

Danny Hylton has warned Oxford United will get “eaten alive” at Stevenage today unless they match their hosts’ appetite for a battle.

Celebrations as the Blavatnik building is 'topped out'

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Saturday 31st January 2015

BUILDERS and Oxford University dons have celebrated “topping out” one of Oxford’s newest and most prominent buildings.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree