Hospital says it is working to scan women within fortnight

Dr Tony Berendt

Dr Tony Berendt

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Council Reporter, also covering Oxford city centre. Call me on 01865 425429

DOCTORS hope to scan all 30 women being recalled over fears about breast cancer tests within the next fortnight.

Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust (OUHT) said it was working as quickly as possible to give the women – contacted because there are fears tests telling them they were not in danger of the disease may have been wrong – definitive answers.

As revealed in yesterday’s Oxford Mail, the trust launched a serious incident investigation after it discovered five women had developed breast cancer several months after they had screenings and additional assessments.

After these cases came to light 626 women, who had been screened and then had additional tests by the same doctor, between May 2011 and March 2014 were reviewed by National Breast Screening Service experts. And of those OUHT said it is concerned about 30 women.

They have now been invited to come in to hospital over the next two weeks.

If there’s a problem, they will be given the necessary treatment but the trust has said it hoped the majority would not need it.

Dr Tony Berendt, the trust’s interim medical director, said: “We are obviously extremely sorry that we have had to recall these women and we have done it in order to be absolutely confident that the assessments they had were as thorough as possible.

“It is possible that there is nothing found in any of them but we cannot say at this stage.

“We are making changes about the way assessments are read and discussed. What happens then will depend on the results of the full investigation.”

Andrew Smith, the MP for Oxford East, said he wished all the women the best.

He added: “It is good that the hospital’s review has picked this up and action is being taken, but the fact that this has been necessary, and especially the five instances of cancer which triggered the recall, raises serious questions about why the additional tests were not undertaken on the previous scan.

“Women need to able to rely on the screening service as putting into practice the best standards, and the public will want to be assured that this has now been done.”

All women aged between 50 and 70 are invited for breast screening every three years and in the last three years 73,029 women in Oxfordshire have had mammogram screenings.

A telephone helpline has been set up on 01865 227000 to respond to patients’ concerns and GPs have been informed.

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Send your Letter to the Editor

11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.

Our top stories

New: Get Oxford Mail news alerts sent direct to your phone via Whatsapp

Oxford Mail: Whats App logo

11:50am Tuesday 3rd June 2014

OXFORD Mail readers can now sign up to get major breaking news alerts sent direct to their mobile phones with a new service using Whatsapp.

Set for a battle of Blenheim over 1,500 homes plan

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Tuesday 9th September 2014

RESIDENTS in Woodstock have vowed to “fight until the bitter end” against plans to build up to 1,500 homes east of the town.

Delays of up to 40 minutes on bus services across the county

Oxford Mail: Traffic Alert general

9:00am Tuesday 9th September 2014

STAGECOACH Oxfordshire has warned that passengers face delays of up to 40 minutes this morning.

Harassment cop sacked for gross misconduct

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

8:30am Tuesday 9th September 2014

A DETECTIVE has been sacked after harassing a member of police staff, the force said yesterday.

Fears as boat owners’ group claims new area of riverbank

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Tuesday 9th September 2014

RESIDENTS say they are worried about another attempt by boat owners to grab land alongside waterways in the city.

Mum cleared of breaking baby daughter’s leg

Oxford Mail: The Horton General Hospital, Banbury

6:30am Tuesday 9th September 2014

A TEENAGER accused of breaking her baby daughter’s leg broke down in tears as she was cleared yesterday.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree