SITTING your A-Levels is hard enough without falling down a flight of stairs and breaking your ankle during your exams.
But Philippa Smith, a pupil at Our Lady’s Abingdon, managed to get A*s in English Literature and History and an A in Art despite having her leg in a plaster cast.
She fell down some stairs during a lunch break while sitting her Art controlled assessment.
The 18-year-old from Appleford, who is now going to the University of Edinburgh, said: “My leg was in plaster for all my written exams, so I just tried to stay focused on getting the results I needed. I didn’t expect to do so well in the end.
“I went to A&E but I made up the time when I went back to school in my lessons. My teachers were really supportive.”
The Radley Road school saw a jump in its results with 47 per cent of the 36 pupils taking A-Levels getting either an A* or an A while 72 per cent got an A* or a B.
Stephen Oliver, the principal of OLA, said: “My congratulations go to all our students who collected their results today – all their hard work has paid off, and I wish them well as they move on to university life.
“These results are excellent, with almost 20 per cent of the year group achieving straight A*s and As.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street