A NEW bus could be made available to transport the elderly and infirm around Oxford after council officials offered to make more money available.
Oxfordshire County Council, the transport authority which runs the dial-a-ride service, is now considering the offer.
At the moment there is only one bus which covers Oxford after controversial cuts to the scheme in 2012.
Spindleberry Close resident Iris Lewis, 78, no longer uses the dial-a-ride service after the council asked if she could get someone to help her to and from the bus to save time.
The mother-of-five, who used the service to go to the Gladiator Club in Iffley Road, said: “The club is the only place I go to and I only go out once a week. It could be a good idea having another bus but I wouldn’t bother with them. They have treated me too badly.”
City councillor John Tanner, the executive board member for cleaner, greener Oxford, said: “We would be prepared to put a limited amount of money into an improved dial-a-ride service for Oxford, but the county council has not so far shown a willingness to agree with us how best to spend that money.
“For a significant improvement in the service we would be prepared to make a contribution. What we are not prepared to do is to throw good money after bad. The service could be a lot better run. What we don’t want do see is the county council use our contribution to run the service and their money for something else.”
Dial-a-ride can be used by those with mobility, visual and learning difficulties or the elderly. It costs £5 a year to subscribe to the 9am-5pm service and £4 for a return journey – though it is free for those with bus passes.
County council spokesman Martin Crabtree said: “We are in discussions with the city council about their proposal.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Our top stories
11:20am Monday 28th July 2014
What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.
5:10pm Thursday 8th October 2015
A 15-YEAR-OLD girl was raped in Barns Road, Cowley on her way to the bus stop.
5:00pm Thursday 8th October 2015
A boy has been taken to hospital after being involved in a crash in Bicester.
6:36pm Thursday 8th October 2015
CCTV footage from an Oxford travellers’ site has shown a man who was allegedly kept as a slave being pushed around and treated “like a ragdoll”.
4:50pm Thursday 8th October 2015
AN E-FIT of a man who ran away after being caught holding a little girl's hand in Greater Leys has been released by Thames Valley Police. According to officers, a two-year-old girl was playing outside a property in Shepherds Hill at about 6.20pm on Friday, September 11. When her mother came to check on her she saw a man holding the girl's hand. When she challenged the man, he ran away. He is described as white, in his thirties, about 5ft 7ins or 5ft 8ins with short spiky blond or brown hair. He was wearing a knee-length jacket that may have been leather. Investigating officer Det Con Lorna Briggs of Force CID in Oxford said: “We are keeping an open mind regarding this incident. There might be a innocent explanation as to why the man was holding the girl’s hand. “If anyone recognises the man in the E-fit or has any information about the incident then please contact your local police station."
4:50pm Thursday 8th October 2015
A BEGGAR has been banned by police from approaching people in Oxford and asking them for money, food or cigarettes.
7:50am Thursday 8th October 2015
MISSING teen Michaela Rose from Chipping Norton was found safe and well last night.