Fifteen young men set upon a 39-year-old man in Wood Farm and kicked and punched him.
The man was left cut and bruised after the attack at 9.30pm on Monday on in Blackstock Close.
The victim was treated at the John Radcliffe Hospital and has since been discharged.
Investigating officer Det Con Darren Little, from Local CID at St Aldates police station, said: “I am appealing for who saw what happened or who may have been in the area and seen the incident to contact me.
“We believe there were up to 15 people involved in the incident, so if anyone saw a large group in the area around the time of the incident, I would like to hear from you.
“We believe the victim and the offenders were known to each other and so far there have been three arrests made.”
A three teenage boys from Oxford, aged 16, 17 and 18, were arrested on suspicion of assault causing actual bodily harm.
They have been released on bail until Sunday, September 21.
Anyone with information should call 101.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
11:20am Monday 28th July 2014
What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.
Our top stories
9:00am Friday 30th January 2015
THE family of man who escaped a mental hospital, fled abroad then hanged himself in a prison cell have said he was let down by Oxford Health.
12:06pm Thursday 29th January 2015
SNOW has been forecast for Oxfordshire over the weekend and a yellow weather warning is still in place for today.
7:33pm Friday 30th January 2015
A HEADTEACHER at an Oxford primary school has claimed she is getting “fobbed off” by Oxfordshire County Council over questions about delayed construction work at the school.
4:14pm Friday 30th January 2015
A WOMAN charged with the attempted murder of a hospital patient today appeared in Oxford Crown Court.
3:50pm Friday 30th January 2015
A MAN has been accused of fraudulently pocketing £4.8m from the assembly and services division at the Mini plant in Cowley.
Oxfordshire County Council chief executive Joanna Simons to stand down in June - and will not be replaced
1:10pm Friday 30th January 2015
OXFORDSHIRE'S biggest local authority will scrap its top unelected position as part of a radical shake-up to save costs, it was revealed today.