‘Westgate work is stopping coach drivers from parking’

From left, coach drivers Alan Badrick, Alfie Buckley and Phil Tift say preparations for the Westgate redevelopment are making parking difficult

From left, coach drivers Alan Badrick, Alfie Buckley and Phil Tift say preparations for the Westgate redevelopment are making parking difficult

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter covering West Oxford and Botley. Call me on (01865) 425425

COACH drivers have said more thought should have been given to the timing of redeveloping their parking spaces in Oxpens.

Oxford City Council closed off part of the coach park on Monday as it prepares for the £400m Westgate redevelopment.

More car parking spaces will be created when the site replaces the Westgate multi-storey as part of the long-awaited revamp of the shopping centre.

But long-term coach and lorry parking is being moved from Oxpens to the Redbridge Park-and-Ride site off Abingdon Road.

And some drivers have hit out at the timing – at the height of the tourist season.

Donal Maher, a Marshall Coaches driver, said: “There’s nowhere near enough parking for coaches in Oxford anyway, they were turning coaches away this morning.

“It’s unbelievable. It’s easier to park a coach in London sometimes.”

And Alfie Buckley, a driver for Coach UK, said: “It’s ludicrous to do it at this time of year, I’ve been lucky to get a free bay.”

The number of coach parking bays at Oxpens has been cut from 34 to 11, but the city council is providing temporary replacement coach parking at Westgate and Abbey Place.

But drivers said the council had failed to tell them about the overflow parking.

All long-term coach and lorry parking will eventually be moved to Redbridge.

Engineering work began there last Monday and should be completed next week.

Work on the £400m retail development, to provide 70 new shops, up to 120 new homes and a two-storey basement car park with 1,000 spaces could get under way early next year.

City council spokesman Chofamba Sithole said: “Oxpens car park will close from Monday so the site can be prepared for the new car park. It is anticipated that the new Oxpens car park will be completed by the end of the year.”

He said shoppers should use the Abbey Place or Westgate car park while Oxpens is closed.

Coach drivers have also said parking in the city centre is too expensive at £20 for 24 hours with no other options for shorter stay payments.

Driver Mr Buckley said: “There’s no compromise, you’ve got no choice. It’s £20 or you don’t park.”

And Alan Badrick, of Met Coaches, said: “In Stratford upon-Avon for example they charge you a pound an hour; here it’s £20 no matter how long you stay.”

City council spokesman Mr Sithole: “The £20 coach parking fee covers a 24 hour period and is unchanged, following a review of coach parking prices last year.”

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here

11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.

Our top stories

MP calls for a public inquiry into failures to protect girls

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

CALLS for an independent inquiry into the Bullfinch child abuse scandal and police and social services’ failings were growing last night.

Evidence of gang's organised abuse was ignored for years

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

CHILD protection authorities feared an organised gang of paedophiles was prostituting vulnerable girls four years before Operation Bullfinch was launched – but nothing was done.

This was an honest review, says Hudspeth

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

THE leader of Oxfordshire County Council said “everyone was open and honest” about the failings exposed by the Serious Case Review.

Campaigner calling for heads to roll

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

A CHILD safety campaigner last night accused Joanna Simons and Sara Thornton of lacking integrity for refusing to take personal responsibility for Oxfordshire County Council and Thames Valley Police’s failings.

County council chief executive says she will not quit early

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

JOANNA Simons has resisted calls for her resignation and refused to say if she would take a pay off when she leaves Oxfordshire County Council.

Chief Constable admits that force failed victims but says it has improved

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

CHIEF constable Sara Thornton yesterday refused to accept responsibility for the failings within Thames Valley Police.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree