THE number of people claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) in Oxford has halved during the past year.
It fell by 48 per cent from 2,112 to 1,099 in July, new figures from the Office for National Statistics revealed today.
And across Oxfordshire, the number of people signing on dipped below the 3,500 mark for the first time to reach 3,402.
That’s four per cent down since last month and a drop of 43 per cent year on year, meaning less than one per cent of the county’s population is on the dole.
Unemployment among youngsters is still a concern, as the number of jobless 18-24-year-olds in Oxfordshire rose by 10 people between June and July.
But year-on-year, the picture was rosier, with 720 signing on in July, down from 1,275 the same time last year.
Government think tank The Institute for Public Research published a report today highlighting levels of youth unemployment.
It warned there are 868,000 young people aged 16–24 unemployed in the UK, and 247,000 of them have been looking for work for over a year.
Nationally, the jobless total was 2.08 million in the quarter to June, down by 132,000 on January to March, and the lowest since the end of 2009, giving an unemployment rate of 6.4 per cent.
Catherine Coughlan, customer service operations manager for Oxfordshire JobcentrePlus said there were 12,000 vacancies across the county, including roles in catering, retail, security and hospitality.
She said: “The overall number of people claiming unemployment benefit across the county is continuing to come down.
“Numbers tend to go up a little in July because of the influx of school and university leavers but that has not happened.
“As for the 16-24-year olds who are out of work, they tend to be the ones that need help, so we need to work them more intensively, so it does take that bit longer.”
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed
5:10pm Thursday 8th October 2015
A 15-YEAR-OLD girl was raped in Barns Road, Cowley on her way to the bus stop.
5:00pm Thursday 8th October 2015
A boy has been taken to hospital after being involved in a crash in Bicester.
6:36pm Thursday 8th October 2015
CCTV footage from an Oxford travellers’ site has shown a man who was allegedly kept as a slave being pushed around and treated “like a ragdoll”.
4:50pm Thursday 8th October 2015
AN E-FIT of a man who ran away after being caught holding a little girl's hand in Greater Leys has been released by Thames Valley Police. According to officers, a two-year-old girl was playing outside a property in Shepherds Hill at about 6.20pm on Friday, September 11. When her mother came to check on her she saw a man holding the girl's hand. When she challenged the man, he ran away. He is described as white, in his thirties, about 5ft 7ins or 5ft 8ins with short spiky blond or brown hair. He was wearing a knee-length jacket that may have been leather. Investigating officer Det Con Lorna Briggs of Force CID in Oxford said: “We are keeping an open mind regarding this incident. There might be a innocent explanation as to why the man was holding the girl’s hand. “If anyone recognises the man in the E-fit or has any information about the incident then please contact your local police station."
4:50pm Thursday 8th October 2015
A BEGGAR has been banned by police from approaching people in Oxford and asking them for money, food or cigarettes.
7:50am Thursday 8th October 2015
MISSING teen Michaela Rose from Chipping Norton was found safe and well last night.