CONTROVERSIAL plans to create a rooftop terrace at a Cowley Road bar were turned down last night.
The Art Bar, formerly The Bullingdon Arms, applied to Oxford City Council to convert its first floor flat into a new bar and roof terrace.
Councillors at yesterday’s west area planning committee meeting gave some of the plans the go-ahead, after temporarily shelving them one month ago amid concerns about the proposed roof terrace.
The venue will be allowed the new bar and alterations to its frontage, but not the roof terrace.
Councillors were still concerned about the level of noise the terrace would create.
Colin Cook said: “The information provided by the officers tells me nothing about the impact of noise on the local residents. I think it would be unsafe of us to support this application.”
Plans were provisionally deferred after concerns about noise levels were raised by councillors at the previous meeting held on Tuesday, July 22.
It was agreed officers would examine the impact of noise on neighbouring properties.
Councillors also agreed officers would examine the capacity of the rooftop terrace and details of the proposed acoustic fence.
The new plans included an acoustic screen installed on the roof to prevent noise from travelling but councillors raised concerns about how effective the screen would be at preventing nuisance for residents.
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
- Our top stories
- Elections 2016 roundup: Everything you need to know for May 5
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community