THE ROUTE for The Tour of Britain has been released, revealing where cyclists will be pedalling their way through Oxfordshire.
The UK’s biggest cycling race will reach the county on Friday, September 12, the first time that the Tour has passed through Oxfordshire since 2008.
As part of the leg from Bath to Hemel Hempstead, competitors will cycle through the county on the sixth stage out of eight of the eight-day contest.
The route will take them through Wantage, Harwell, Blewbury, Moulsford, Cholsey, Crowmarsh Gifford, Cookley Green, Christmas Common and Crowell.
Wantage residents may be disappointed to learn the path will not go through the town centre, instead skirting the town via Reading Road, Nosworthy Way (A4130) and Port Way (A4074).
The route was worked out with organisers, Oxfordshire County Council and Cycle Chilterns.
Last year the Tour of Britain was won by Olympic champion Sir Bradley Wiggins.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon