Now you can take in a movie when you go under the knife

From left, Dr Vassilis Athanassoglou, Dr Anna Wallis and consultant Dr Svetlana Galitzine, with Mik Ashfield, senior operating department practitioner demonstrating the equipment

From left, Dr Vassilis Athanassoglou, Dr Anna Wallis and consultant Dr Svetlana Galitzine, with Mik Ashfield, senior operating department practitioner demonstrating the equipment

First published in News
Last updated

HERE’S a smart idea to take the anxiety away during hospital operations: a chance to watch your favourite movie as you go under the knife.

The Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre scheme for patients to use iPads during surgery is thought to be a UK first.

It is hoped the move – which also lets patients browse the web – will distract patients undergoing regional anaesthetic for up to 10 hours. Music and games are loaded on to an iPad device and films are streamed for free.

One patient watched a movie, checked emails and played chess during lower limb orthoplastic surgery.

Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust, which runs the Headington hospital, is now planning to expand it to its other hospitals – the John Radcliffe and Churchill and Banbury’s Horton General.

It was devised by consultant anaesthetists Svetlana Galitzine and James Matthews for limb surgery patients.

They drew on research that found patients preferred being kept awake as it improved recovery times.

The “audio-visual distraction” project has been funded by a surplus from the Oxford Regional Anaesthesia Course.

It is mounted on a docking unit designed by staff and headphones are provided to help suppress sounds from the procedure.

Dr Galitzine said: “Many patients can feel anxious at being conscious during an operation, so we are pleased that we have been able to develop a way of making that experience less stressful.

“We are currently assessing patients’ experiences with this technique and finalising patients’ preoperative information leaflets which can help them to make informed choice.

“Most operations can be done under local or regional anaesthetic, as long as the kit is available and the patient, anaesthetist and the surgeon agree to use this technique.

“Feedback from patients so far has been very positive.”

Trust spokesman Martin Leaver said: “This is in the very early stages, but we think we are the first in the country to try it.”

Barton resident Safia Baker, 44, was not sure if she would use the device if she went under the knife.

She said: “It would depend on the operation but personally I would want to be asleep. I’d also be worried that in long operations I might move or might jump if I was watching something like a thriller.

“You would need to be put at rest beforehand.”

Our top stories

The £1.6bn investment that ‘would keep us at the global cutting edge’

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Thursday 2nd July 2015

AMBITIOUS proposals for £1.6bn of transport and development schemes in Oxfordshire have been unveiled by a partnership of businesses, universities and councils.

Rally held outside Bodleian Library to support Greek people and oppose austerity

Oxford Mail: Greek Solidarity Rally

7:49pm Thursday 2nd July 2015

ABOUT 40 Oxford residents attended a rally outside the Bodleian Library in solidarity with the people of Greece today.

Queues on A34 southbound after crash near Peartree Interchange

Oxford Mail: A34 traffic alert

5:48pm Thursday 2nd July 2015

DRIVERS are facing delays as an accident has blocked one lane of the A34 Western By Pass Road southbound.

Group of men sexually assaults teenage girl in Wheatley

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

5:29pm Thursday 2nd July 2015

A TEENAGE girl was confronted by a group of men and sexually assaulted in Wheatley in the early hours of this morning, [2/7] police said.

More Tunisia beach massacre victims repatriated at RAF Brize Norton

Oxford Mail:

4:04pm Thursday 2nd July 2015

The bodies of nine victims of the Tunisian beach massacre have been returned to the UK, as the final British death toll was confirmed at 30.

UPDATE: Missing Stephen Gray from Abingdon found

Oxford Mail:

10:59am Thursday 2nd July 2015

A MAN from Abingdon who went missing has been found.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree