Scientist and prominent advocate of atheism Professor Richard Dawkins spoke at a humanist congress yesterday.
Humanism is the belief that values and ethics come from rational thought – and not from supernatural beings.
Prof Dawkins gave a talk entitled The Greatest Show on Earth, outlining the key points behind the scientific theory of evolution. The New College fellow is the vice president of the British Humanist Association and an alumni of Balliol College.
The talk was held in Blackwell’s bookshop as part of the World Humanist Congress 2014. The congress loses tomorrow night.
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
- Our top stories
- Kerry Reeves' mother bravely faces her 'beautiful' daughter's killers in emotional tribute
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- TV Wildlife presenter Chris Packham speaks about his Aspergers, teenage struggles and attempts to get into Oxford University
- GALLERY: Prince William proves a hit with young and old students on Oxford visit
- Elections 2016 roundup: Everything you need to know for May 5