HUNDREDS of new homes, a primary school, village centre and a care home will be built on the outskirts of Bicester.
Phase two of South West Bicester, the Kingsmere estate, was approved by Cherwell District Council on Thursday night.
Up to 726 houses will be built on farmland between Middleton Stoney Road and Vendee Drive.
Phase two is being built next to phase one of the development by Countryside Properties.
By the time the work has finished, about 2,300 homes will have been built in the estate.
Andrew Carrington, director of developer Countryside Properties, said: “Phase two provides additional community and social infrastructure including a new primary school, as well as excellent connections to Bicester town centre and the countryside, all of which will help create a vibrant place to live.”
The homes will be a mixture of maisonettes, bungalows and houses and at least 30 per cent will be affordable housing.
But not everyone is so keen on the plans.
Residents of Ware Street, which is opposite phase one, told the Oxford Mail they had concerns.
James Smith, 19, who lives on the street, said: “The traffic is already horrendous and I think it will be made a lot worse by all the new people moving in.”
Terry Cairns, 64, said: “It was always going to go ahead, I don’t think we could have done anything to stop it. I just hope there will be enough infrastructure to support it.”
However, Ware Street resident Matthew Shipman was more upbeat.
The 26-year-old said: “It will be good for Bicester, it will bring more people in.”
Before building work starts at the site, Countryside Properties needs to submit more detailed plans to the council.
The Kingsmere development
It will also be required to make Section 106 contributions to amenities and services including the secondary school on phase one and improved transport links including bus, roads and rail.
Cllr Michael Gibbard, lead member for planning at the council, said: “This site has been earmarked for development in Cherwell’s submitted draft local plan and, as such, this is not a speculative application by an opportunistic developer. The development meets guidelines as set out in the Government’s National Planning Policy Framework.”
The first phase of the Kingsmere development, off Oxford and Middleton Stoney roads, began in April 2010.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
11:20am Monday 28th July 2014
What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.
Our top stories
12:09pm Friday 27th November 2015
TWO men have been arrested in connection with the murder of Kerry Reeves, 26, in Abingdon earlier this month.
7:00am Friday 27th November 2015
TRAFFIC jams are now so bad in Oxford concrete is setting in the back of delivery lorries.
9:00am Friday 27th November 2015
FORGET Frozen and park the Playstation... traditional toys are back with a bang this Christmas.
8:30am Friday 27th November 2015
INTERNET users believe some people in Oxfordshire will still struggle to get superfast broadband despite £5.6m of new funding to roll it out to 4,600 homes and businesses.
8:00am Friday 27th November 2015
NEIGHBOURS have branded the £1,500 fine dished out to a boutique hotel owner over clay pigeon shooting “pathetic”.
6:30am Friday 27th November 2015
A CIVIC group has warned plans for up to 190 new homes at Wolvercote’s former paper mill could worsen traffic and air pollution in North Oxford.