Council to replace 300 trees destroyed in grass-mowing

Council to replace 300 trees destroyed in grass-mowing

Left, Chitra Thapa, front, and other group members planting the trees last November

How the area looks now

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Council Reporter, also covering Oxford city centre. Call me on 01865 425429

COUNCIL bosses have pledged to replant more than 300 saplings for a new woodland that were accidently cut down.

Oxford City Council workers decimated 300 of 420 saplings when they mowed the grass at Rose Hill recreation ground.

The council has apologised for the mistake and has pledged to pay £624 the replacement trees.

They were planted by community group Rose Hill and Iffley Low Carbon in November in a bid to create a new woodland.

Oxford Mail:

  • Eleanor Watts 

The group’s Eleanor Watts said: “It was an honest mistake and they have promised to rectify it.

“It was a bit upsetting because more than 20 volunteers did give up their day to plant the trees last November however the city council has apologised.”

The trees were planted as part of National Tree Week, which saw city groups plant trees with help from the Woodland Trust.

Woodland Trust director of woodland creation John Tucker said the trees were native species like rowan, hawthorn, hazel, silver birch, dogwood and wild cherry.

He said: “It’s unfortunate that the trees have been lost in this manner, but accidents do happen. We would be happy to provide replacement trees to the group, which we hope will last much longer.

Related links

“The trust has provided thousands of trees for free across Oxfordshire over the past few years and every single one makes a real difference to the environment.”

Council spokesman Chris Lee said: “Each year, our teams visit sites across the city as part of a programme for cutting and collecting long grass on meadow areas.

“This year the long grass areas were so long, that when our team went to Rose Hill they couldn’t see a number of young tree saplings that were planted last year.

“The saplings that were supplied by the Woodland Trust were very small and hadn’t had the opportunity to flourish and grow above the grass length.

“Unfortunately, on this occasion we made a mistake and for this we apologise.

“We plan to purchase and plant replacement saplings, which are larger and more mature.

“We also intend to update our maps across the city to make sure everything is properly marked so we don’t make this mistake again.”

Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Send your Letter to the Editor

11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.

  • Our top stories

Man cleared of affray

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

8:00am Saturday 1st November 2014

A man accused of brandishing a kitchen knife inside a house in Witney has been found not guilty of affray.

Caller asks for money

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

8:00am Saturday 1st November 2014

A woman has been knocking on elderly people’s doors around Wolvercote asking for money to pay for her electricity meter, said police.

Drug addict who stole builder’s drill is jailed

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

8:00am Saturday 1st November 2014

A DRUG addict who carried out two distraction burglaries has been jailed for three years at Oxford Crown Court.

‘Mo Bros’ keeping a hirsute upper lip for men’s health

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Saturday 1st November 2014

MEN across the county will join with their brothers worldwide and down their razors for charity in November.

Historic mural unveiled

Oxford Mail: Agatha Christie

7:00am Saturday 1st November 2014

Villagers in South Oxfordshire will unveil their hand-painted mural depicting 3,000 years of the district’s history tomorrow.

A dead good concert promised as people invited to sing own funeral songs

Oxford Mail: GRAVE SITUATION: The body of Henry John was disinterred and stolen from the graveyard. (1705192)

7:00am Saturday 1st November 2014

People have been invited to sing the songs they want played at their funeral at a concert tomorrow in St Giles, Oxford.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree