A theology student has been named as one of the country’s top black students.
University of Oxford student Tyrone Steele, from Cowley, was ranked second in the Rare Rising Star Awards, which recognise the achievements of the top 10 black students across the country.
The Oxford-born Pembroke College student had previously served as a member on the Youth Parliament and as Young Mayor for the City of Oxford.
The 21-year-old is passionate about Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) issues and hopes to highlight this by organising a London conference this year.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her
- Families urged to consider signing up for organ donation
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today