A CHEF who died after being found at the bottom of stairs in an Oxford home for people with mental health problems had toxic levels of an anti-depressant in his system.
Sun Hei Lam, 54, was discovered at about 2pm on April 22 by support worker, Robert Atkinson, who had earlier heard a thud at the top of the stairs.
Mr Lam was pronounced dead at about 2.30pm that day from a large upper gastro-intestinal haemorrhage, due to gastritis – an inflammation of the lining of the stomach – and toxic levels of fluoxetine – a drug he was taking.
The chef, who was born in Hong Kong, lived in Iffley Turn in a multi-occupancy house for people with mental health problems, Oxfordshire Coroner’s Court heard.
Coroner Darren Salter heard at Mr Lam’s inquest on Tuesday that pathologist Clare Verrill had concluded his death should be attributed to toxic levels of fluoxetine in his system.
Mr Salter said: “There is evidence that not only could the fluoxetine have been at a toxic level and in a fatal range, but it could have been responsible for the gastritis.
“I think that the best opinion is that this is a drug-related death, not least because of the fluoxetine.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
11:20am Monday 28th July 2014
What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.
Our top stories
5:02pm Wednesday 6th May 2015
DRIVERS are experiencing heavy delays on the roads leaving Oxford, with many stuck in standstill traffic.
1:49pm Wednesday 6th May 2015
FOUR people have been arrested after a man was left with a fractured eye socket after an attack in Bicester.
11:52am Wednesday 6th May 2015
THE number of voters who reported not receiving postal ballots in Oxford West and Abingdon has risen to 150.
10:51am Wednesday 6th May 2015
The five-star Randolph hotel damaged by a major fire last month has re-opened.
9:00am Wednesday 6th May 2015
POSTAL voters were yesterday still waiting for their ballot papers less than 48 hours before polling opens in the General Election.
8:30am Wednesday 6th May 2015
THERE’S no escaping it – scything is big this summer.