CONSULTATIONS over controversial plans to redevelop Botley’s West Way shopping centre have been further delayed, causing more discontent among local people.
Developer Doric Properties Ltd was due to unveil its third set of plans to local residents yesterday but cancelled the proposed meetings with less than 36 hours notice.
The co-chairman of West Way Community Concern, Chris Church, said: “This is typical of the poor organisation that has characterised their planning process. Plans have been late and local people have no confidence in the process.”
The original plans were to flatten the centre, the 1930s Elms Parade frontage, derelict Elms Court office block, Botley Library, Seacourt Hall, Field House sheltered housing, the Botley Baptist Church, and the vicarage to St Peter and St Paul’s Church.
In their place Doric wants to build a supermarket, cinema, gym, health centre, shops, 33 flats and 525 student rooms.
Simon Hillcox, joint owner of Doric properties, said: “We’ve been working hard on improving our plans based on the feedback we have received from the design panel and wider community. We are close to finalising our plans and hope to keep key interested people informed at the earliest opportunity.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- New faces around the county council cabinet table
- Oxfordshire detective is a contestant on Channel 4 survival show The Island with Bear Grylls
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes