AN 80-strong congregation marked their respects to the Fallen at an evening church service in West Hanney.
The St James the Great Church held a candle-lit service and vigil in which parishioners were invited to lay rosemary plants in front of the church’s war memorial.
Bell ringers rang out a muffled half-peal ahead of the service at the Church Street church, which began at 10.45pm on Monday.
Associate minister, the Rev David Payne, said men from the village who fought and died in the First World War are included on a memorial at the church.
He said: “It’s important to keep that in our memory because the war had a massive impact on a place like this.
“It was only right to acknowledge the significance it would have had.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
11:20am Monday 28th July 2014
What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.
Our top stories
8:30am Thursday 30th July 2015
A DIGGER is now on the scene at Brasenose Driftway where police say canisters containing an unknown substance have caused soil contamination.
6:30am Thursday 30th July 2015
COUNCIL leader Matthew Barber yesterday said decisions over the failed £100 million West Way scheme were made “in good faith”.
6:19pm Thursday 30th July 2015
PLANS to invest £5m in a homeless housing scheme to combat a crisis in temporary accommodation in Oxford have been backed by councillors.
4:15pm Thursday 30th July 2015
A MAN has been arrested after an attempted rape in Sandford-on-Thames earlier today.
INCREASING numbers of people apparently taking nitrous oxide gas in north Oxfordshire has prompted police to issue a warning on the dangers.
10:14am Thursday 30th July 2015
A FAMILY of five escaped with their lives from a serious fire at their home in Bicester last night.