An evening service was held to rededicate the Shipton-under-Wychwood village war memorial.
The 7pm dedication service at the St Mary the Virgin Church was followed by a vigil. And in Milton-under-Wychwood’s Church of St Simon and St Jude there was a vigil with music, reading and prayers from 7.30pm.
Stained glass windows at town hall blessed
Stained glass windows were blessed and dedicated in Banbury Town Hall, at a service led by Bishop of Dorchester, Reverend Colin Fletcher, from 7.30pm.
Afterwards, the beat of a muffled drum accompanied a civic procession to St Mary’s Church, Horsefair, at 8.30pm. A vigil was held from 9pm to 9.30pm when the names from the church’s war memorial were read out.
Reflection and prayer
In West Hanney St James’ Church held a memorial service, beginning with a muffled peel of bells at 10.45pm, followed by quiet reflection and prayer until 11pm.
Church’s candlelit vigil
In Minster Lovell St Kenelm’s Church held a candlelit vigil with readings, hymns and prayers in the churchyard from 8pm.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Our top stories
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street