Fresh start could be just the tonic for U’s

United goalkeeper Max Crocombe dives at a penalty

United goalkeeper Max Crocombe dives at a penalty Buy this photo

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Council Reporter, also covering Oxford city centre. Call me on 01865 425429

FANS of all ages helped Oxford United kick off its season over the weekend.

The club held its annual fun day at its training ground in Cowley on Sunday, less than a week before Oxford United’s first league fixture against Burton Albion this Saturday.

Supporters had the chance to meet the players as well as quiz the U’s new leadership.

Callum Crierie, from Witney, got the chance to size up U’s goalkeeper Max Crocombe when he took a penalty but without much success, which might be a good omen for the coming season.

The 11-year-old Henry Box pupil said: “It was brilliant that they were out and about and signing autographs. I met mostly all of them, including my favourite player Ryan Clarke. He was quite friendly.

“I think that because we have had a fresh start this summer we will do much better this season, hopefully.”

Cowley resident Ryan Smewin, 12, met winger Alfie Potter who signed the St Gregory the Great pupil’s shirt.

He said: “He’s my favourite player and he was pretty nice. “ Last month there was a major shake-up at Oxford United, with former chairman Ian Lenagan selling a stake of the club to Darryl Eales, who has also taken his role.

Former West Bromwich Albion goalkeeper Mark Ashton has become chief executive officer and Michael Appleton has taken over as manager from Gary Waddock.

Oxford Mail:

  • Winger Alfie Potter signs a shirt for U’s fan, Ryan Smewin, 12 

All three new chiefs were present at Sunday’s family day where they mingled with fans.

Mr Ashton said: “It is amazing. It is so nice to see the fans here.

“I think it is symptomatic of what I have seen at Oxford. Everyone’s in it together and the fans have been wonderful. It is nice to see so many generations here today.”

Oxford Mail:

  • Defender Michael Raynes braves a stint in goal

The Oxford Mail organised a penalty shoot out and over the course of the day there was the chance to watch an Oxford United training sesson and take part in a match against the U’s first team.

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed

Our top stories

Mum says Oxford Health let down son who escaped mental hospital

Oxford Mail: Ian McLean

9:00am Friday 30th January 2015

THE family of man who escaped a mental hospital, fled abroad then hanged himself in a prison cell have said he was let down by Oxford Health.

UPDATE: Snow and sleet forecast for Saturday in Oxfordshire

Oxford Mail: Ice warning for Sussex after more snow falls

12:06pm Thursday 29th January 2015

SNOW has been forecast for Oxfordshire over the weekend and a yellow weather warning is still in place for today.

Julia Knight appears in court charged with attempted murder of patient in Horton General Hospital

Oxford Mail:

4:14pm Friday 30th January 2015

A WOMAN charged with the attempted murder of a hospital patient today appeared in Oxford Crown Court.

Update: Man in court accused of £4.8m fraud at Mini plant

Oxford Mail: The production line for the mini at the BMW plant in Cowley as it looks now

3:50pm Friday 30th January 2015

A MAN has been accused of fraudulently pocketing £4.8m from the assembly and services division at the Mini plant in Cowley.

Oxfordshire County Council chief executive Joanna Simons to stand down in June - and will not be replaced

Oxford Mail: Joanna Simons

1:10pm Friday 30th January 2015

OXFORDSHIRE'S biggest local authority will scrap its top unelected position as part of a radical shake-up to save costs, it was revealed today.

Andrew Main appears in court charged with South Oxfordshire arsons

Oxford Mail:

1:13pm Friday 30th January 2015

A MAN has today appeared in court accused of three arson attacks in South Oxfordshire, including those that destroyed district council offices and a funeral parlour.

 

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree