Couple hit a hurdle in their bid to reopen popular pub

The General Elliot

The General Elliot

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter covering Abingdon and Wantage, South Oxford and Kennington. Call me on 01865 425431

THE couple hoping to reopen South Hinksey’s General Elliot pub after five years have been told their flood risk assessment (FRA) was not good enough.

Helen and Cass Hazlewood, who live in the village, bought the pub lease from Vale Breweries saying they wanted to revitalise it.

Since the Hazlewoods acquired the lease, work has begun to refurbish the building.

As well as running the Elliot as a country pub and restaurant, the couple are planning to offer eight “short let” studio rooms.

But the Environment Agency (EA) has said their FRA “failed to consider the effect of flooding events on people and property”.

Planning adviser Ashley Maltman commented on the Hazlewood’s planning application to Vale of White Horse District Council.

He wrote: “The development proposed is inappropriate for the Flood Zone it is located within.

“Given the nature of flooding in this area we consider that flood risk at the site has not been satisfactorily addressed or determined.”

The pub is in a floodplain meaning this type of development is not recommended.

Mr Maltman criticised the couple for not supplying an evacuation route for guests and residents in the case of a flood.

Homes in South Hinksey have been flooded in recent years by the overflowing Thames.

During February’s floods, soldiers from Dalton Barracks helped the EA put up a 600-metre wall of concrete blocks around the village to protect it.

The General Elliot, which won Oxford CAMRA’s pub of the year award in 2007 and 2008, closed in 2009 after the landlord left.

Since then, residents have fought several attempts to redevelop the site for residential use, with the last application to build houses on its car park withdrawn by the agent in August 2013.

It is understood the Vale’s original target decision date for the Hazlewoods’ planning application, August 1, has now be extended to allow the couple to prepare a new FRA.

Our top stories

Randolph Hotel: Damage runs to millions but we may re-open on Saturday

Oxford Mail:

8:08am Monday 20th April 2015

THE manager of Oxford’s Randolph Hotel has said the fire caused millions of pounds of damage.

Randolph Hotel: Flambe cooking thought to be cause of fire

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Monday 20th April 2015

FIRE crews were expected to return the flame-stricken Randolph Hotel to management today after spending the weekend making the building safe.

UPDATE: Randolph Hotel: Beaumont Street reopens westbound

Oxford Mail:

3:05pm Monday 20th April 2015

BEAUMONT Street is set to partly reopen later today after engineers assessed damage to the Randolph Hotel following Friday’s fire.

Jury retires to consider verdict in Robert Dobinson murder trial

Oxford Mail:

3:21pm Monday 20th April 2015

THE jury has retired to consider its verdict in the trial of a woman who denies fatally stabbing her boyfriend in a drunken rage.

Update: Delays expected until midnight after signalling problems between Oxford and Charlbury

Oxford Mail: A First Great Western High Speed Train

11:03am Monday 20th April 2015

There are delays and cancellations on train services between Oxford and Charlbury due to signalling problems.

Oxford United striker Kemar Roofe celebrates double delight

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Monday 20th April 2015

Kemar Roofe insists he does not know where his future lies after netting his second double in a fortnight to help Oxford United to a 3-0 win at Tranmere Rovers on Saturday.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:11pm Wed 6 Aug 14

The New Private Eye says...

Has the world gone mad. There used to be 2 pubs in S.H. and had they still both been open would the council be requesting a flood plan? This is not a new development, and one that is supported in the community so why the sudden heavy handidness by the council. Especially at a time that they are allowing new estates to be built, and planning to build their own.
Has the world gone mad. There used to be 2 pubs in S.H. and had they still both been open would the council be requesting a flood plan? This is not a new development, and one that is supported in the community so why the sudden heavy handidness by the council. Especially at a time that they are allowing new estates to be built, and planning to build their own. The New Private Eye
  • Score: 6

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree