POLICE and prosecutors have said no one will face charges over the killing of a 52-year-old man in Carterton last year.
Jeweller Melvin Hillier, from Witney, was found dead in a flat after a night of heavy drinking with friends in March 2013.
Three people were arrested on suspicion of murderering Mr Hillier, but were released without charge. A coroner ruled in May that Mr Hillier had been unlawfully killed after suffering from bleeding on the brain caused by a blow to the head.
After the inquest, detectives said they were reviewing the investigation, but yesterday announced that no charges will be brought.
A Thames Valley Police and Crown Prosecution Service statement said: “Both the police and the CPS agree that there is no new evidence arising from the inquest.
“We will of course continue to review any new evidence that becomes available, but at this time there are no further lines of inquiry being pursued.”
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed
9:12am Saturday 10th October 2015
TRIBUTES have poured in for a “vibrant and popular” former student who was struck down and killed on the A40.
5:30am Saturday 10th October 2015
A “REMARKABLE” teenager whose battle with cancer inspired hundreds to raise funds for research has passed away.
12:25pm Saturday 10th October 2015
Soldiers from the barracks named after First World War hero Edward Brooks officially unveiled a new memorial at his grave today.
8:30am Saturday 10th October 2015
OXFORD’S revamped Westgate Centre will reopen in October 2017, just in time to give the city’s economy a £100m Christmas bonus.
8:00am Saturday 10th October 2015
THE restaurant at the Randolph Hotel has reopened nearly six months after a devastating blaze, but the hotel will not be back to normal until March.
7:00am Saturday 10th October 2015
MULTI-MILLION pound plans to transform a neglected Cowley shopping centre are set to rejuvenate the area, developers said.