TWO kebab shop workers have been spared prison after beating a man who complained about their food.
Omer Soylemez and Tuncar Arslan went after Luke Jarvis in September when he moaned about the food, and a friend threw chips at them, in the One Minute Food House in Faringdon.
Soylemez, 35, hit him with an iron bar and Arslan, 42, kicked him while he was on the ground.
Both pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm and were given 12-month prison sentences suspended for two years at Oxford Crown Court on Thursday.
Prosecutor Michael Riley said Mr Jarvis – who did not need hospital treatment – had rung Environmental Health on his phone and demanded a free meal.
His friend Samuel Delaney then threw chips and ketchup at the workers.
Soylemez and Arslan then followed them in a car to Park Road where they attacked them.
Gareth James, defending Soylemez, said his client had worked in kebab shops for 12 years without incident.
He said: “It does seem to have come from a great deal of provocation.”
The lawyer also said Mr Jarvis had been convicted of being drunk and disorderly on the same night.
Stephen Parker, defending Arslan, said the father-of-four deeply regretted the attack.
Both Soylemez, of Adwalton Close in Freshbrook, Swindon, and Arslan, of Crawford Close in Freshbrook, were also told to each do 200 hours of unpaid work, pay £500 costs, and complete a 12-month supervision order.
After sentencing, Judge Gordon Risius told them: “The next time, do not take the law into your own hands regardless of the behaviour of your customers and regardless of what they might have done before.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service?
Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- New faces around the county council cabinet table
- Oxfordshire detective is a contestant on Channel 4 survival show The Island with Bear Grylls
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes