TWO kebab shop workers have been spared prison after beating a man who complained about their food.
Omer Soylemez and Tuncar Arslan went after Luke Jarvis in September when he moaned about the food, and a friend threw chips at them, in the One Minute Food House in Faringdon.
Soylemez, 35, hit him with an iron bar and Arslan, 42, kicked him while he was on the ground.
Both pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm and were given 12-month prison sentences suspended for two years at Oxford Crown Court on Thursday.
Prosecutor Michael Riley said Mr Jarvis – who did not need hospital treatment – had rung Environmental Health on his phone and demanded a free meal.
His friend Samuel Delaney then threw chips and ketchup at the workers.
Soylemez and Arslan then followed them in a car to Park Road where they attacked them.
Gareth James, defending Soylemez, said his client had worked in kebab shops for 12 years without incident.
He said: “It does seem to have come from a great deal of provocation.”
The lawyer also said Mr Jarvis had been convicted of being drunk and disorderly on the same night.
Stephen Parker, defending Arslan, said the father-of-four deeply regretted the attack.
Both Soylemez, of Adwalton Close in Freshbrook, Swindon, and Arslan, of Crawford Close in Freshbrook, were also told to each do 200 hours of unpaid work, pay £500 costs, and complete a 12-month supervision order.
After sentencing, Judge Gordon Risius told them: “The next time, do not take the law into your own hands regardless of the behaviour of your customers and regardless of what they might have done before.”
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service?
Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
11:20am Monday 28th July 2014
What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.
Our top stories
8:30am Monday 31st August 2015
A VAST digital network linking Oxford’s roads, streetlights, shops and car parks could transform city life, a UK internet chief said.
8:20am Monday 31st August 2015
A STRIKE will continue to disrupt train services in Oxfordshire today.
8:00am Monday 31st August 2015
A FAMILY was left outraged after an 11-year-old boy was told he would have to travel alone in a car driven by a bus driver for part of his journey to school.
8:30am Saturday 29th August 2015
A TOP transplant surgeon has backed the Oxford Mail organ donation campaign saying more donors are needed than ever before.
9:00am Saturday 29th August 2015
A RAPIST who disappeared before his trial to escape justice is believed to have had a second passport he could have used to flee the country.
8:00am Saturday 29th August 2015
MOVING tributes were paid to Carole Roberts yesterday at the former Lord Mayor of Oxford’s funeral.