BECKY Considine is one of the first nominees for the new Oxfordshire Business Mother of the Year Award.
The mum-of-two provides temporary admin work on a freelance basis and has been nominated for the Oxford Mail’s category in the NatWest Venus Awards.
Mrs Considine, who lives in Kidlington, said: “So far I’ve managed to juggle a really good work-life balance.”
Mum to three-year-old Mia and Isla, nearly two, she added: “My job is very flexible so I can work between naps and school runs, and because I’m not just nine to five, I can work in the evening and the weekends.
“I do have also have the luxury that my mum is local and can look after the kids if I need.”
The 43-year-old said: “I did this because I wanted flexibility around my children and this was the perfect opportunity to be there for them and bring in money.
“It’s important that women know that there are other options than just staying at home or struggling with a nine-to-five job.”
The Business Mother of the Year category has so far had 49 mums nominated for their hard work and enterprising spirit.
Nominations close tomorrow, but applications – where women put themselves forward – will be accepted until Sunday, August 10.
This is the first year Venus Awards has come to celebrate Oxfordshire’s businesswomen, and the category to honour our hardworking mums is sponsored by the Oxford Mail, alongside BMW dealer North Oxford Garage.
It was started in 2009 by mum-of-four Tara Howard, from Bournemouth.
She said: said “I am well aware of the struggles that women sometimes face. I wanted to make sure they get their deserved recognition.”
Women can nominate themselves or can be nominated by friends, family or colleagues.
There are 15 categories in the competition, including Business of the Year, Business Woman of the Year, Inspirational Woman and Lifetime Achievement.
The Oxford Mail judges will narrow the Business Mother of the Year nominees down to the top 10, who will then each film a one-minute video.
Videos will go online and the public will be able to vote for the winner. Winners will attend a ceremony in Warwickshire on November 14 and receive a trophy and certificate.
- Nominations can be made online at oxfordshire.venusawards.co.uk
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
- Our top stories
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her
- Families urged to consider signing up for organ donation
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay