Funeral date set for footballer

Jordan Tabor

Jordan Tabor

First published in News

THE funeral of former Chelsea youth player Jordan Tabor will take place at midday on Tuesday at Trinity Church in Abingdon.

Friends have continued to pay tribute to the 23-year-old, who is believed to have died following a fall from a hotel balcony in Turkey on July 23, while on holiday with his girlfriend.

Luton Town defender Fraser Franks dedicated his goal in a pre-season friendly on Saturday against Belgium’s Royal Antwerp to his former Chelsea teammate.

He tweeted: “RIP Jordan Tabor. Knew I would score today and get a chance to dedicate it to him.”

On Monday, Mr Tabor’s girlfriend Danielle McEachran tweeted: “I can’t say thank you enough to everyone for all the messages, flowers and support you have all given.”

Miss McEachran’s brother is Chelsea midfielder Josh. His ex-girlfriend, Coronation Street start Brooke Vincent, tweeted: “Words can’t describe. Rest in Peace.

“Days like this put everything into perspective. Life is too short.”

Two of Mr Tabor’s former clubs, Didcot Town and Kidlington FC, held a minute’s silence before their game on Tuesday, and tributes have been paid by Chelsea and Cheltenham FC.

Mr Tabor played for Chelsea between 2008 and 2009, appearing 50 times for their under-18s side and three times for the reserves.

A spokesman for the club said: “Everybody at Chelsea Football Club was shocked and saddened to hear of the death of our former Academy scholar Jordan Tabor last week. Our thoughts are with Jordan’s family and friends at this difficult time.”

After leaving Chelsea he signed for Cheltenham and played once in the Football League Trophy before spells at Kidlington and AFC Hinksey, where he spent the 2013-14 season.

Mr Tabor, a former pupil of Abingdon Preparatory School and Cokethorpe, was living in Headington and working for Secondsite Recruitment in Abingdon at the time of his death.

His mother Louise Bates said his spirit would live on through his brothers Charlie, six, and Finlay, seven.

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

    Send your Letter to the Editor

    11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

    What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.

Our top stories

Mum says Oxford Health let down son who escaped mental hospital

Oxford Mail: Ian McLean

9:00am Friday 30th January 2015

THE family of man who escaped a mental hospital, fled abroad then hanged himself in a prison cell have said he was let down by Oxford Health.

UPDATE: Snow and sleet forecast for Saturday in Oxfordshire

Oxford Mail: Ice warning for Sussex after more snow falls

12:06pm Thursday 29th January 2015

SNOW has been forecast for Oxfordshire over the weekend and a yellow weather warning is still in place for today.

Head ‘fobbed off’ over delayed Windmill Primary School extension

Oxford Mail: Windmill head teacher, Lynn Knapp

7:33pm Friday 30th January 2015

A HEADTEACHER at an Oxford primary school has claimed she is getting “fobbed off” by Oxfordshire County Council over questions about delayed construction work at the school.

Julia Knight appears in court charged with attempted murder of patient in Horton General Hospital

Oxford Mail:

4:14pm Friday 30th January 2015

A WOMAN charged with the attempted murder of a hospital patient today appeared in Oxford Crown Court.

Update: Man in court accused of £4.8m fraud at Mini plant

Oxford Mail: The production line for the mini at the BMW plant in Cowley as it looks now

3:50pm Friday 30th January 2015

A MAN has been accused of fraudulently pocketing £4.8m from the assembly and services division at the Mini plant in Cowley.

Oxfordshire County Council chief executive Joanna Simons to stand down in June - and will not be replaced

Oxford Mail: Joanna Simons

1:10pm Friday 30th January 2015

OXFORDSHIRE'S biggest local authority will scrap its top unelected position as part of a radical shake-up to save costs, it was revealed today.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree