A DEVELOPER previously denied permission to build 127 homes in the village where ITV period drama Downton Abbey films outdoor scenes has returned with a new planning application.
Gladman Homes has submitted plans to West Oxfordshire District Council for 116 homes in Aston Road, Bampton.
The move comes as it prepares to fight the district council in an appeal over the original proposal, rejected in January due to concerns over flood risk and its closeness to the conservation area.
The council has also since then approved 160 homes in New Road, despite an opposition petition signed by 330 residents and 100 letters of objection.
Resident Lesley Campbell, of the Save Bampton’s Future campaign, said the new proposal was no different.
She said: “It’s an almost identical application. Most people think it’s the same application so wonder whether there’s any point in responding.
“There’s been no significant change in circumstances in Bampton, and if anything West Oxfordshire has improved its five-year land supply by approving the 160 houses in New Road.
“Flooding is a major issue and it’s not a sustainable proposal on any front.”
In a planning statement, Gladman said it would use a sustainable urban drainage sytem (SUDS) to prevent flooding.
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- Elections 2016 roundup: Everything you need to know for May 5
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community