A BUS company is investigating one of its drivers after a deaf woman claimed she was “humiliated” on a journey to Oxford.
Sarah Chapman, of Witney, complained to Stagecoach after the incident on its Oxford Tube service on Monday.
Mrs Chapman, 49, said she was returning to Oxford from London with a £20 return ticket she had bought on Friday, on which she was told her daughters, aged 13 and 15, could travel for free.
She alleges the driver forced her to pay £15 for her daughters and made a call on his mobile, which he then “waved” in her face on speakerphone, insisting she could hear.
On its website, the bus company states five- to 15-year-olds travelling with a fare-paying adult can use its service between the two cities free of charge.
Mrs Chapman, who wears hearing aids and relies on lip-reading, said: “It was humiliating to be in a stand-off with the driver, him waving the phone in my face and insisting that I could hear while I repeatedly told him that I couldn’t.
“It was also unpleasant for my teenage daughters, who had to tell me what the driver’s colleague was saying over the speakerphone and who heard the driver tell him ‘she says she can’t hear, but she can’.”
Stagecoach managing director Martin Sutton said: “We are very sorry about this incident and would like to apologise to Mrs Chapman for what has happened. We place great importance on training drivers in all aspects of customer service and we are investigating the matter so we can take appropriate action to ensure this does not happen again.”
Mrs Chapman said she was pleased the firm was investigating.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
11:20am Monday 28th July 2014
What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.
Our top stories
6:30pm Thursday 3rd September 2015
A 23-year-old man has been jailed for a year following the death of Long Hanborough man Richard Reed in a car crash last year.
8:30am Thursday 3rd September 2015
AN 880-PUPIL free school in Oxford has been hailed as the beginning of a new solution to the county’s shortage of places.
5:06pm Thursday 3rd September 2015
A JUDGE has postponed sentencing a designer clothing firm over health and safety failures that led to a four-year-old boy being crushed by a 7ft mirror.
5:00pm Thursday 3rd September 2015
A WOMAN who found a hidden camera in the shower of a hotel says she feels disgusted by the incident.
3:28pm Thursday 3rd September 2015
A 34-year-old man has been arrested for aggravated burglary and criminal damage.
1:10pm Thursday 3rd September 2015
A BURST pipe in Banbury is gushing water onto Broughton Road.