YOUNG bakers raised vital funds for a hospice at a cake sale they organised for a youth project.
They sold the treats at Witney’s Windrush Leisure Centre in aid of Helen & Douglas House, hospice in Oxford.
The youngsters, members of the National Citizen Service, had to organise the sale in one week as part of the project’s social action plan.
Agnieszka Mazurek, a 16-year-old pupil at Witney’s Henry Box School, said she thought £100 had been raised – although the final amount had not yet been counted.
She said: “It went really well, we sold all of the cakes we had baked ourselves.
“I lost count of how many we had but people were very impressed and said it was a good thing we were doing.
“It was for a good cause so I’m happy it went well.”
The hospice gives palliative care to children and young adults in Oxfordshire and surrounding counties.
The National Citizen Service is a Government scheme open to 16 and 17-year-olds in England.
Grace New said she had learned a broad range of skills from the programme. The 17-year-old, of Nether Westcote, near Chipping Norton, said: “You get confidence, speaking skills and learn about reliability and responsibility.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here
Our top stories
- New faces around the county council cabinet table
- Oxfordshire detective is a contestant on Channel 4 survival show The Island with Bear Grylls
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes