Pledge to meet deadlines to finish major road upgrades

Pledge to meet deadlines to finish major road upgrades

Frideswide Square during work to repair sewers in April

David Nimmo Smith says various roadworks around the city will be “challenging”

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter covering North Oxford, Jericho and Summertown. Call me on 01865 425498

MAJOR road improvements on Oxford’s ring road and in Frideswide Square will finish on time, a council boss has said, after an opposition member raised concerns.

Oxfordshire County Council’s David Nimmo Smith gave the assurance in response to concerns raised by Labour group transport spokesman John Sanders.

Work began last month to turn the Kennington roundabout into a “hamburger” design – with a lane going through it linking to Abingdon Road.

The £6m project will also create a redesigned southbound slip road on to the A34 at the Hinksey Hill interchange.

Both these projects are expected to finish in November.

But in September, the long-awaited £5.5m scheme to transform the layout of Frideswide Square, by Oxford railway station, will begin.

The first phase, from September to December, will remove two sets of traffic lights to try to reduce congestion at peak times.

Further work on the square is planned to take place from February to December next year.

Mr Sanders said it was vital the bypass work did not run past November towards Christmas. He said: “Oxford’s traffic system is snarling so of course you have to have these projects and I’m glad someone is getting on with it.

“But I am concerned that the different schemes going on in tandem are not all being managed together.

“I am not yet convinced we are thinking about this all together, as opposed to just each individual aspect.”

Conservative Mr Nimmo Smith said: “There is a lot happening in Oxford transport-wise and some of that work is going to overlap.

“We have these timescales to meet and we have to make sure we do not close Oxford down for business.

“While the works are going on it is not going to be easy for everyone – it will be challenging.”

But he added: “We are confident that the schemes can be delivered on time.”

Diversions for the Frideswide Square work were approved last week.

Traffic will be diverted along Hollybush Row, Osney Lane and Becket Street to avoid the square.

Oxford City Council leader Bob Price said: “It’s difficult to know how much of a problem it will be, but we’re pretty confident this will be finished by Christmas so it won’t affect Christmas traffic too badly.

“The first stage of the roadworks should be pretty easily managed.

“They’re not major, but they are necessary things for the main works the next year.”

The finished scheme will have a large roundabout outside the station and two mini-roundabouts by the Royal Oxford Hotel.

Becket Street will change to allow two-way traffic with parking bays in the street moved to Osney Lane and St Thomas Street.

Oxford Bus Company operations director Phil Southall said: “It’s an ambitious scheme and we have been liaising closely with the county council to ensure services can be maintained. The true test will come in the new year when the project gets under way in earnest.”

Stagecoach Oxfordshire did not respond to requests for comment.

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Send your Letter to the Editor: What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter for publication here

11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.

Our top stories

UPDATE: Two men taken to hospital after crash near Pear Tree

Oxford Mail:

3:05pm Friday 6th March 2015

TWO men have been taken to John Radcliffe hospital following a six-vehicle crash on the A34 Northbound at the Peartree Interchange..

Robert Blackwell pleads guilty to causing the death of Witney schoolgirl Liberty Baker

Oxford Mail:

2:44pm Friday 6th March 2015

TEENAGER Robert Blackwell has pleaded guilty to causing the death of Witney schoolgirl Liberty Baker.

Benefit cheats fleeced taxpayers out of £1.3m

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Friday 6th March 2015

FRAUDSTERS in Oxford raked in almost £1.28m in the past financial year from the public purse.

Victims in Banbury sex abuse case are praised for their bravery

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

1:24pm Friday 6th March 2015

THE victims in the Banbury sex abuse case have been praised for their bravery throughout the trial.

UPDATE: Two cars flip over in separate crashes in Oxford

Oxford Mail:

8:18am Friday 6th March 2015

TWO cars were left on their roofs after flipping in separate crashes this morning.

Two women being supported after suspected brothel raided in Cowley Road

Oxford Mail: police officer rear

11:35am Friday 6th March 2015

TWO women have been removed from a suspected brother in Cowley Road.

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:24am Wed 30 Jul 14

Dilligaf2010 says...

If anybody other than OCC are undertaking the work, then the projects may well finish on time, but if OCC are doing the work, there's not a chance
If anybody other than OCC are undertaking the work, then the projects may well finish on time, but if OCC are doing the work, there's not a chance Dilligaf2010
  • Score: -12

3:57pm Wed 30 Jul 14

The New Private Eye says...

Oxford Bus Company (The Go-Ahead Group) operations director Phil Southall said: “It’s an ambitious scheme and we have been liaising closely with the county council to ensure services can be maintained. The true test will come in the new year when the project gets under way in earnest.”

Well that is us stuffed then. If the Bus companies have a say in this then it will be to the detriment of 99% of road users for the benefit of 1% of the vehicles that concentrate only on multi-national companies profits.
Oxford Bus Company (The Go-Ahead Group) operations director Phil Southall said: “It’s an ambitious scheme and we have been liaising closely with the county council to ensure services can be maintained. The true test will come in the new year when the project gets under way in earnest.” Well that is us stuffed then. If the Bus companies have a say in this then it will be to the detriment of 99% of road users for the benefit of 1% of the vehicles that concentrate only on multi-national companies profits. The New Private Eye
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree