MAJOR road improvements on Oxford’s ring road and in Frideswide Square will finish on time, a council boss has said, after an opposition member raised concerns.
Oxfordshire County Council’s David Nimmo Smith gave the assurance in response to concerns raised by Labour group transport spokesman John Sanders.
Work began last month to turn the Kennington roundabout into a “hamburger” design – with a lane going through it linking to Abingdon Road.
The £6m project will also create a redesigned southbound slip road on to the A34 at the Hinksey Hill interchange.
Both these projects are expected to finish in November.
But in September, the long-awaited £5.5m scheme to transform the layout of Frideswide Square, by Oxford railway station, will begin.
The first phase, from September to December, will remove two sets of traffic lights to try to reduce congestion at peak times.
Further work on the square is planned to take place from February to December next year.
Mr Sanders said it was vital the bypass work did not run past November towards Christmas. He said: “Oxford’s traffic system is snarling so of course you have to have these projects and I’m glad someone is getting on with it.
“But I am concerned that the different schemes going on in tandem are not all being managed together.
“I am not yet convinced we are thinking about this all together, as opposed to just each individual aspect.”
Conservative Mr Nimmo Smith said: “There is a lot happening in Oxford transport-wise and some of that work is going to overlap.
“We have these timescales to meet and we have to make sure we do not close Oxford down for business.
“While the works are going on it is not going to be easy for everyone – it will be challenging.”
But he added: “We are confident that the schemes can be delivered on time.”
Diversions for the Frideswide Square work were approved last week.
Traffic will be diverted along Hollybush Row, Osney Lane and Becket Street to avoid the square.
Oxford City Council leader Bob Price said: “It’s difficult to know how much of a problem it will be, but we’re pretty confident this will be finished by Christmas so it won’t affect Christmas traffic too badly.
“The first stage of the roadworks should be pretty easily managed.
“They’re not major, but they are necessary things for the main works the next year.”
The finished scheme will have a large roundabout outside the station and two mini-roundabouts by the Royal Oxford Hotel.
Becket Street will change to allow two-way traffic with parking bays in the street moved to Osney Lane and St Thomas Street.
Oxford Bus Company operations director Phil Southall said: “It’s an ambitious scheme and we have been liaising closely with the county council to ensure services can be maintained. The true test will come in the new year when the project gets under way in earnest.”
Stagecoach Oxfordshire did not respond to requests for comment.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
11:20am Monday 28th July 2014
What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.
Our top stories
9:00am Monday 26th January 2015
CITY council tenants’ satisfaction with their homes has plummeted over the past year.
5:00pm Monday 26th January 2015
A TEENAGER accused of knowingly digging holes to bury murdered Jayden Parkinson has been "playing stupid to win over the jury", the prosecution said.
1:59pm Monday 26th January 2015
ONE lane of the London Road, Headington, has been closed after a manhole collapsed.
8:30am Monday 26th January 2015
AN INTREPID missing cat has been found in Bicester, 200 miles from its home.
8:00am Monday 26th January 2015
MORE than 12,000 people turned out for the official opening of the £9m Leys Pools and Leisure Centre at the weekend when fees were waived.
7:00am Monday 26th January 2015
SCHOOLS in Oxfordshire are set to lose out on nearly £450,000 in extra funding.