Man cleared over teenage sex charges

Oxford Crown Court

Oxford Crown Court

First published in News

A 25-YEAR-OLD has been cleared of inciting a teenage girl to engage in sexual activity after they met playing Xbox games online.

Martyn Johnson, from Spalding in Lincolnshire, was yesterday found not guilty of the offence by a jury after a four-day trial.

He was unanimously acquitted of the offence, which allegedly happened between January 1 and March 24 last year when the complainant, from Oxfordshire, was 15.

Before his trial started Johnson pleaded guilty to three counts of showing indecent images of a child.

Opening the case in Oxford Crown Court, prosecutor Iain Wicks said the defendant had an online relationship with the complainant at the end of 2012, but they never met.

He said the teenager sent Johnson nude photos of herself, which he uploaded to his Blackberry Messenger profile page when he thought she was seeing someone else.

Addressing the jury in his closing speech Tony McGeorge, defending, said his client had believed the girl was 16 at the time.

He said: “His case is that he believed she was 16 for a very good reason, and that reason is she told him she was 16.”

He added: “He’s certainly not material from which geniuses are sculpted. What the girl said to him, coupled with her appearance and behaviour, led him to believe she was 16.”

Judge Mary Jane Mowat said she agreed Johnson was immature and that the “bizarre” online relationship had been encouraged by the complainant.

But she told him posting pictures of the teenager on the internet was “nasty, upsetting and distressing for her”.

She fined him £500 and told him he would spend five years on the sex offenders’ register. He also has to pay a £50 victims’ surcharge.

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Send your Letter to the Editor

11:20am Monday 28th July 2014

What do you think? We welcome letters from our readers on a wide variety of subjects and you can send us a letter through the blue headline above.


Our top stories

Army will apologise to paratrooper after bullying claim at RAF Brize Norton upheld

Oxford Mail:

4:11pm Wednesday 1st October 2014

THE Army has said it will apologise to a paratrooper who lost three limbs in Afghanistan after his complaint of bullying was upheld.

Witney job centre cordoned off after suspicious package scare

Oxford Mail:

11:38am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A job centre was cordoned off after reports of a suspicious package.

Two road closures next week on A34 and in Oxford

Oxford Mail: Traffic Alert general

10:52am Wednesday 1st October 2014

PARTS of the A34 and Walton Street will be closed next week as roadworks are carried out.

Thames Water under fire from residents who say they’ve been left in the dark

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

ANGRY residents flooded out of their homes say they are being left in the dark by Thames Water a week after disaster struck.

One lane of Botley Road shut for emergency work

Oxford Mail: Burst water main closes Lower Hall Lane in Chingford

9:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

THAMES Water started emergency roadworks in Botley Road last night.

WATCH: Right royal occasion as RAF hands on helicopters + video

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

PRINCE Andrew joined RAF personnel and Royal Navy staff as they paraded at RAF Benson yesterday to mark one of the base’s helicopter squadrons being officially disbanded.

 

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree