Skydivers are taking plunge for Charlotte Nott

Charlotte Nott

Charlotte Nott

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter covering Blackbird Leys and Greater Leys. Call me on 01865 425403

A TOTAL of 24 people will face their fears and jump out of a plane 13,000 feet up to raise money for Charlotte Nott.

Six-year-old Charlotte, from Cowley, had the lower part of her arms and legs amputated in 2010 after contracting meningitis, an illness caused by inflammation to the lining of the brain.

Now her family are constantly trying to raise money to pay for the prosthetic legs Charlotte needs to walk.

The Horspath CofE Primary School pupil needs a new set every three to six months as she grows.

Her mum Jenny Daniels said: “It’s so hard to raise money all the time. We have a lot of support and we’re really grateful, but it’s hard.

“Members of the public don’t understand why we’re fundraising, they assume her legs are paid for, and don’t realise we have to pay for them every time.”

Now Miss Daniels, 32, is hoping a group skydive this summer will raise the £6,000 needed for Charlotte’s next set of limbs. She said: “The money will go for a new set of legs for her, so £6,000 to cover that would be the best outcome.

“We don’t know when she’ll need them, she could have a growth spurt at any time, but she’ll definitely need a new pair by the end of the year.”

Craig Wiseman, from Chinnor, one of the fundraisers, will be doing his first skydive.

The 28-year-old prison nurse said: “I’ve never done anything like this before, but I’ve done two half marathons for Charlotte before. She inspires me to go out of my comfort zone.

“I’ve raised just over £200 so far, but I want to get more than £350.”

With 24 people taking part in the jump, each person needs to raise £250 to pay for the new legs.

Miss Daniels, who is also mum to George, four, and Libby, two, said: “We had nine people do it last year.

“I had two different groups approach me independently to suggest it, and so we just put them together.

“This time it’s more coordinated. It’s a mix of old supporters and new people doing things to help us.

“It’s a nice thing because it’s an amazing achievement for them, and it raises money for us.”

While the skydivers will be flying high, Charlotte is not.

Following three operations for a bone infection last year, she has developed nerve tissue growth in both of her legs.

Miss Daniels, who lives on Brasenose Driftway, said: “Charlotte’s a bit up and down with her walking, she’s got problems after her operations last year. It’s nerve damage and it’s affecting her because she’s not as comfortable.

“We’re all just persevering and struggling at the moment.”

The skydive will be on Monday, August 25 at the Hinton Skydiving Centre, Brackley, near Bicester.


 

Our top stories:

Man fell into cellar window after leaving pub

Oxford Mail: Oxfordshire County Council county hall

12:00am Thursday 18th September 2014

A MAN who was “heavily intoxicated” died after falling into a cellar window, an inquest heard yesterday.

Mum-of-two from Oxfordshire leads fight against Ebola

Oxford Mail:

5:43pm Wednesday 17th September 2014

A mum-of-two from Oxfordshire has become the first person in the world to be injected with an Ebola gene as part of a city-led battle against the deadly virus.

Delays for drivers at junction nine of the M40

Oxford Mail: Lorry jackknifes on M40 causing traffic tailbacks

4:37pm Wednesday 17th September 2014

A broken-down car is causing delays on the M40 southbound near Bicester.

Escaped prisoner arrested in Oxford

Oxford Mail:

2:25pm Wednesday 17th September 2014

An escaped prisoner was arrested in Oxford this morning along with a man and a woman.

New: Get Oxford Mail news alerts sent direct to your phone via Whatsapp

Oxford Mail: Whats App logo

11:50am Tuesday 3rd June 2014

OXFORD Mail readers can now sign up to get major breaking news alerts sent direct to their mobile phones with a new service using Whatsapp.

Set for a battle of Blenheim over 1,500 homes plan

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Tuesday 9th September 2014

RESIDENTS in Woodstock have vowed to “fight until the bitter end” against plans to build up to 1,500 homes east of the town.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree