Building giant is fined £525k after dad’s death

Mark Williams

Mark Williams

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter covering Abingdon and Wantage, South Oxford and Kennington. Call me on 01865 425431

A CONSTRUCTION firm was fined £525,000 yesterday for health and safety breaches which led to the death of a father-of-two.

Mark Williams’s mother said last night he was “totally let down by the people he trusted”.

The  41-year-old, of Nuneham Courtenay, survived by his partner Sam Collins and their daughters Tilly and Ellie, died when the forklift truck he was driving on a building site in Newbury toppled over on July 20, 2011.

His family said the day before he died, Mr Williams told construction firm Costain Ltd in a meeting that someone was going to get killed on the site.

In a statement, his family said: “Sadly for us, someone did get killed – him.”
Reading Crown Court heard that he had complained to management after several near misses at the crowded site and difficulties getting around the site the day before his death.

He had been lifting a pallet of tiles when the vehicle began to topple and fell on top of him.

After a five-week trial at Reading Crown Court in April, Costain was found guilty of four breaches of health and safety regulations. 

Yesterday it was fined and ordered to pay £90,577 in costs. 

Judge Angela Morris said the fine was intended to punish the breaches and not place a value on Mr Williams’s life.

Oxford Mail:

Mark Wiliams' mother Shenda Williams-Long, with partner Tom Long.

His mother Shenda Williams Long, of Nuneham Courtenay, said: “I always felt that I have lived a very privileged and happy life, but all that changed when police officers knocked on our door and informed me that our beloved son had been killed.

“Mark was a loving son, brother, partner, friend and an amazing dad to his two daughters.

“Little did we know that fateful day  it would be the last morning we would feel peaceful, happy and complete.

“Mark was totally let down by the people he worked for and trusted.”
Health and Safety Executive principal inspector Steve Hull said it was a “tragic and entirely preventable” death.

He said: “Mark Williams was required to use a telehandler that was wholly unsuited to the confined area he worked in.

“He had no option but to raise the boom so he could turn the vehicle and, in doing so, he critically undermined the stability, resulting in the inevitable overturn.”

Mr Williams’s  direct employer, Attleys Roofing Ltd – which provided the machine – was acquitted of all charges.

Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS, SPORT and JAYDEN depending on what services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Our top stories

Man armed with broken bottle robs bookmakers in Bicester

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

1:20pm Sunday 1st March 2015

A MAN brandishing a broken bottle robbed a bookmakers in Bicester yesterday.

Ferrari 458 seized by police on M40 near Bicester after driver believed to have no licence

Oxford Mail:

11:55am Sunday 1st March 2015

Police seized this £200,000 Ferrari 458 on the M40 in Oxfordshire this morning.

Man in life-threatening condition in hospital after collision with car near Banbury

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

2:33pm Saturday 28th February 2015

A pedestrian is fighting for their life in hospital after being in a collision with a car near Banbury this morning.

Flowers planted at memorial garden to Jayden Parkinson in Didcot by family and friends

Oxford Mail:

1:29pm Saturday 28th February 2015

FAMILY and friends of a murdered teenager have planted flowers at her memorial garden today.

Defibrillator Campaign on target as 1,000 join up to be lifesavers

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Saturday 28th February 2015

AS 1,000 lifesavers have now been trained across Oxfordshire, the campaign to install more than 300 defibrillators is set to hit its target next month.

Good Samaritan conned by Botley petrol fraudster

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Saturday 28th February 2015

A GOOD Samaritan who said she was conned out of £70 by a highway fraudster is warning others about being caught in his trap.

   

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:18am Thu 24 Jul 14

HomerSimpsonDoh says...

Why was not the CEO or any directors charged with corporate manslaughter?. That would have made others firms take notice not a fine that they can fiddle through the books.
Why was not the CEO or any directors charged with corporate manslaughter?. That would have made others firms take notice not a fine that they can fiddle through the books. HomerSimpsonDoh
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree