‘Appalling’ domestic abuse statistics

‘Appalling’ domestic abuse statistics

‘Appalling’ domestic abuse statistics

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Council Reporter, also covering Oxford city centre. Call me on 01865 425429

NEARLY 7,000 Oxfordshire children were caught up in domestic abuse incidents last year, figures show.

Numbers supplied in a new report also reveal that 1,916 children across Oxfordshire were subject to two or more incidents in the 2013/14 year.

Of those, it said 10 children in the county were reported by Thames Valley Police to have been involved in a catalogue of more than 10 separate incidents of domestic abuse over the year.

Overall police data shows there were 9,798 incidents of domestic abuse involving children, according to the Oxfordshire Domestic Abuse Strategy Group report.

The figures come after Oxfordshire County Council said it was planning to axe 40 per cent of funding from services targeting domestic abuse as part of its budget cuts.

Oxfordshire Safer Communities Partnership had the report presented to them on Monday.

Its chairman, Vale of White Horse district councillor Bill Jones, said: “Naturally I am appalled by the statistics and we will do all we can. As a committee we have to zero down to the people with responsibility for these issues. I was a police officer and far more is being doing now than it was when I first encountered the problem 40 years ago.

“I hope it is being given the necessary importance because it is something we need to get a grip of.”

Support groups are provided across the county for adult victims of domestic abuse and children, but are facing cuts of 40 per cent – £132,000.

As a result, the Oxfordshire Domestic Abuse Helpline, which was used 2,329 times in 2013/14, will be reviewed.

Most of these calls come from Oxford, with 1,139 calls coming from the city.

Romy Briant, chairman of the Oxfordshire Domestic Abuse Strategy Group, said the future of the service is uncertain.

She said: “The current consultation recommends that there should be a 40 per cent cut to our service – which means a complete cut in funding to our helpline, which is absolutely key.

“I don’t know how that will link in with possible funding coming from elsewhere.”

Ms Briant was speaking during a meeting of the Oxfordshire Safer Communities Partnership held in County Hall on Monday.

She told the meeting that there are an estimated 22,000 victims of domestic abuse in Oxfordshire.

Oxfordshire Domestic Abuse Strategy Group was set up in 2004 by the county’s statutory and voluntary sectors to tackle the issue.

The cut is part of a wider £1.5m cut to services which will also affect homeless hostels.

Oxfordshire’s domestic abuse service – including the helpline and support – is run by A2Dominion, which also runs homeless hostel Simon House in Oxford.

Group director of supported housing, Pam Vasir, said: “The consultation will continue until September and we are not able to comment on the impact to our domestic abuse services until we know its outcome.”

County council spokesman Marcus Mabberley said: “The housing-related support savings proposal, which includes a 40 per cent proposed saving for relevant services for those who experience domestic abuse, has been put forward for comment with no decisions having been made.

“A review will take place following the consultation, which will involve users, providers and stakeholders and a further public consultation will then be conducted on its recommendations regarding services for those who experience domestic abuse.”

Oxfordshire Domestic Abuse Helpline is available on 0800 731 0055, Monday to Saturday, 10am to 4pm. It is freephone and will not show on telephone bills.

  • Our top stories:

Mum says Oxford Health let down son who escaped mental hospital

Oxford Mail: Ian McLean

9:00am Friday 30th January 2015

THE family of man who escaped a mental hospital, fled abroad then hanged himself in a prison cell have said he was let down by Oxford Health.

UPDATE: Snow and sleet forecast for Saturday in Oxfordshire

Oxford Mail: Ice warning for Sussex after more snow falls

12:06pm Thursday 29th January 2015

SNOW has been forecast for Oxfordshire over the weekend and a yellow weather warning is still in place for today.

Head ‘fobbed off’ over delayed Windmill Primary School extension

Oxford Mail: Windmill head teacher, Lynn Knapp

7:33pm Friday 30th January 2015

A HEADTEACHER at an Oxford primary school has claimed she is getting “fobbed off” by Oxfordshire County Council over questions about delayed construction work at the school.

Julia Knight appears in court charged with attempted murder of patient in Horton General Hospital

Oxford Mail:

4:14pm Friday 30th January 2015

A WOMAN charged with the attempted murder of a hospital patient today appeared in Oxford Crown Court.

Update: Man in court accused of £4.8m fraud at Mini plant

Oxford Mail: The production line for the mini at the BMW plant in Cowley as it looks now

3:50pm Friday 30th January 2015

A MAN has been accused of fraudulently pocketing £4.8m from the assembly and services division at the Mini plant in Cowley.

Oxfordshire County Council chief executive Joanna Simons to stand down in June - and will not be replaced

Oxford Mail: Joanna Simons

1:10pm Friday 30th January 2015

OXFORDSHIRE'S biggest local authority will scrap its top unelected position as part of a radical shake-up to save costs, it was revealed today.

 

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree