Two puppies, one of which was dead, were found abandoned in a cardboard box in Wallingford yesterday.
A landscape gardener working by the Thames found the Staffordshire bull terriers, about eight weeks old, and took them to Oxfordshire Animal Sanctuary at Stadhampton.
The living puppy, pictured, was taken to a vet in Oxford. It is thought the other died of heatstroke and dehydration.
Assistant warden Aaron Denton said: “It is disgusting.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS, SPORT and JAYDEN depending on what services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
- Our top stories
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her
- Families urged to consider signing up for organ donation
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay