Promise to keep traders in the loop over square work

David Nimmo Smith

David Nimmo Smith

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Council Reporter, also covering Oxford city centre. Call me on 01865 425429

BUSINESSES and residents have been promised more information in the future over the redevelopment of Oxford’s Frideswide Square.

Oxfordshire County Council’s deputy director for environment and economy Mark Kemp made the promise after some traders and residents complained they had been kept in the dark about forthcoming works.

He said communication was “limited” last year and plans on how to consult are being “urgently” put together.

Work will start in September on a radical £5.5m re-design of the square, by Oxford train station, in a bid to improve traffic flows.

The scheme – to finish by December 2015 – will remove traffic lights in favour of roundabouts.

Traffic will be diverted along Hollybush Row, Osney Lane and Becket Street to avoid the square.

Amanda Suliman-Bell, who runs the Rainbow and Spoon boutique in Frideswide Square, said she sought details about timing of the works.

She said: “I had to instigate a meeting with the county council and I made that happen and they hadn’t got in touch with me.

“We have a seasonal business where we are required to know what we are going to do from one season to the next and I am just about to start ordering for my autumn season but I don’t know what’s going to happen.”

A large roundabout will go outside the station, with two mini-roundabouts at the other end of the square in front of the Royal Oxford Hotel.

Open spaces will be created on three sides of the square, named after Oxford’s patron saint.

The junction of Worcester Street, Hythe Bridge Street and George Street will become a four-way junction with lights and four pedestrian crossings.A mini-roundabout will be created where Hollybush Row meets Osney Lane and Oxpens Road.

Becket Street will be opened to two-way traffic with parking bays in the street moved to Osney Lane and St Thomas Street.

The changes will be introduced in the winter and will be permanent when work is complete.

Mr Kemp said: “No design works were undertaken on the project between January and December 2013 hence there were limited communications with stakeholders during that period.

“Communication channels were reopened in April 2014 with the informal consultation on the enabling works.

“A communications plan for the project is being prepared as a matter of urgency.

“This will be aimed at regular communication with stakeholders, including residents and businesses, informing of work schedules, progress, key messages etc.”

Cabinet member for transport David Nimmo Smith will be asked to approve the diversions on Thursday.

Our top stories:

Man still fighting for life after Sandford Road bridge fall

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

4:41pm Tuesday 30th September 2014

A man was yesterday still fighting for his life in hospital after falling from a bridge and colliding with a vehicle.

Motorcyclist seriously injured in crash with car near Dorchester

Oxford Mail: Ambulance stock image

11:44am Tuesday 30th September 2014

A MOTORCYCLIST has been taken to hospital with serious injuries after a crash with a BMW.

Dismal start troubles Appleton

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Tuesday 30th September 2014

Oxford United’s position in the table is now a concern for head coach Michael Appleton, who has acknow-ledged it is taking longer than expected to improve results.

Derek Measor's wife says his death tore her world apart as killer driver avoids jail

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Tuesday 30th September 2014

A WIDOW whose husband was killed while cycling yesterday told a court it was the worst day of her life.

Girls get some coaching from a top GB runner

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Tuesday 30th September 2014

PUPILS at d’Overbroecks College pulled on their running shoes yesterday as 2002 Commonwealth Games 400m relay silver medallist Lesley Owusu gave them advice on how to succeed in both sport and life.

Rethink on late-night drink levy

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Tuesday 30th September 2014

BARS and clubs in Oxford could soon be charged for serving alcohol after midnight.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree