MORE than 300 mourners attended the funeral of Witney schoolgirl Liberty Baker as she was laid to rest in the town today.
Fourteen-year-old Liberty was killed on June 30 after she was hit by a car which mounted the kerb on Curbridge Road as she walked to school.
Extra space had to be made available outside Our Lady and St Hugh Roman Catholic Church, Moorland Road, to accommodate the large number of mourners who came to pay their respects.
The family's priest, Father Patrick Broun, said the number of people in the church showed how much Liberty was loved.
He said: "People have been saying she was a happy girl, a smiling girl, that she made others around her smile too.
"Why was she like that? It was because she knew she was loved by her family, and her friends."
A ukulele, a candle from Liberty's first holy communion and a teddy bear were set by her coffin to represent her love of music, her spirituality and her youth.
Liberty was laid to rest in Tower Hill Cemetery following the funeral.
An 18-year-old man was arrested in connection with her death on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and released on police bail until August 10.
- Our top stories:
- New faces around the county council cabinet table
- Oxfordshire detective is a contestant on Channel 4 survival show The Island with Bear Grylls
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street
- Chain running Randolph Hotel in Oxford in 'best shape ever' after announcing £55m profit
- Cyclist and car involved in collision outside Seacourt Tower
- Oxford United vow to act quickly to resolve flag-waving dispute
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES