FRAUDSTERS have targeted Cherwell District Council residents in a cold calling council tax scam.
A number of people have been phoned by callers claiming to be council officers offering tax refunds and asking for bank details to allow them to transfer the money.
If details are handed over, fraudsters can use them to withdraw money and use the account for their own purposes.
Council deputy leader George Reynolds said residents should refuse to hand over bank details.
He said: “Cherwell District Council will never, ever call a resident and ask for bank details. The only time bank details will be discussed is if a customer calls us and provides their details in order to set up a payment or receive benefits.
“Secondly, as a rule Cherwell does not cold call its residents about refunds. Any council tax credits will be advised in writing.”
Anyone who has been a victim should contact Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS, SPORT and JAYDEN depending on what services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Our top stories
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- Management consultants Newton Europe named Business of the Year at 2016 Oxfordshire Business Awards
- Eating Weetabix and brown rice could help prevent an early death say experts
- VIDEO: Kerry Reeves' mother bravely faces her 'beautiful' daughter's killers in emotional tribute
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech