A WANTAGE theatre group is one of the first in the country to be allowed to stage an amateur production of a popular West End musical.
Members of Look Theatre! have been selected to stage Legally Blonde The Musical.
The group is planning to perform the show at entertainment venue Shush, in Newbury Street, in 2016.
The actors applied to gain rights to stage the musical in May after the musical’s UK tour came to an end and will now set aside funding to stage the show.
Rosanna Porter, 22, from Wantage, joined the group five years ago.
She said: “It’s really exciting because it’s something that we all really enjoy – we all know the words already.
“I would like to play the role of Elle Woods but I don’t think that would be possible because I’m not the strongest singer.”
Group member Christina Smith, from Wantage, added: “We are all big musical theatre fans and regularly go to the West End so we were all so excited to find out we could do this.
“It’s a very young group and we have worked extremely hard over the last few years to make a name for ourselves.
“It’s been a real boost for us and has encouraged us to keep going.”
The musical is based on the 2001 film Legally Blonde, starring Reese Witherspoon as Elle Woods, who follows her ex-boyfriend to Harvard Law School.
- Our top stories:
- Sexual assaults are denied
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community