FORKED lightning and rumbling thunder rolled across the Oxfordshire sky this morning as the muggy weather created a spectacular storm.
- The first five images are from our old friend Mary Spicer at Tackley at about 2.30am
The bangs and flashes woke many as the storm moved across the county between 2am and 4am.
The dramatic weather hit as the county swelters through an incredible heat wave. Temperatures today are expected to hit highs of 28C, with weather stations already reporting 19C just before 8am.
Oxfordshire can expect to bathe in sunshine for the rest of today, but rain is forecast at around 10pm.
- Here's a 10-minute video from Mark Jones - liking the soundtrack too
- Daniel Theobold sent these two in from Abingdon
- And Karen Modo-Hogg sent in this shot
- Peter Silver from Fringford took this picture at around 3am this morning
- Sarah Foulks sent in this shot, from West Oxfordshire, we believe
- Craig Cowley sent these two pictures in
Lorraine O'Callaghan from Milton Heights sent us this montage of the lightning strikes
- Andy Smith took this picture at Cogges in Witney at 2am
- Did you get any pictures of the lightning where you were? Send us your shots at email@example.com or Tweet them to @TheOxfordMail.
Our top stories
6:40am Monday 24th November 2014
VOLUNTEERS from Oxford’s Helen & Douglas House hospice shone a light on the work of the charity as part of the Streetlight Festival.
7:18pm Sunday 23rd November 2014
THERE are delays of up to half an hour on the M40 after an earlier vehicle fire.
6:21pm Sunday 23rd November 2014
A woman has been sexually assaulted in a pub car park in Kidlington.
2:26pm Sunday 23rd November 2014
A HORSE was killed after it collided with a car near Steeple Aston yesterday.
2:17pm Sunday 23rd November 2014
OXFORDSHIRE is set for a cold snap tonight and tomorrow with temperatures as low as -2C expected in some parts of the county.
11:51am Sunday 23rd November 2014
A WOMAN from Witney has been missing since Friday.